Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Began Collecting Ike's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 581Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  11:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lccsofan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just began collecting Ike's and I wonder do collectors break open slabs and put the coins in their albums. I'm not talking about a PF or MS 70 but there are less expensive items that are in my price range.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11103 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, first of all, to CCF!

You can get MANY slabbed Ikes (particularly PF69DCAMs) for 20 bucks or less. Those are a great start and are nice and shiny but I would not break them out of the slabs. Why? You can get non-graded ones for less for your albums.

Good luck on your quest! Check out jbuck's collection and search for IKE to see many other collections here.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39971 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Here is a link you might like https://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=23
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1152 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can never go wrong with the last of the large U.S. dollars.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4179 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck is the world's authority on Ikes, or so it seems. he will, I am sure, respond very soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2146 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few Ike collectors here (me included) I have been collecting them for a long time but until recently finally decided to place them into an album. Dansco albums are very nice to use but a bit pricey if you can find one.

Another thing to pay attention are the different types or varieties of the Ikes in 1972-P and 1776-1976 years.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
Pillar of the Community
United States
4738 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF...good luck with your collection
Mint sets can be had for 3.50 to 5 dollars at my LCS..so breaking them out for an album insures a nice quality Ike.

Sidenote, I just spend one in a purchase yesterday and the clerk said "OH what is this...One dollar?"
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
03/10/2021 11:07 am
Learn More...
United States
101823 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just Began Collecting Ike's

to the Community!

Quote:
...do collectors break open slabs and put the coins in their albums.
I have not yet, but would if I had to. This might be true for the key dates I have left to fill in my Dansco albums.

My Ike Dansco album was completed long before I knew what a slab was. However, I did have to break apart several OGP (US Mint) "Brown Ike" and proof set lenses to fill those holes.

In addition to the Dansco set, I have a second Ike set in PCGS slabs. I would recommend only putting raw and OGP freed Ikes into your album and setting aside any slabbed Ikes for a second set. No reason why you cannot have two.

There are no shortage of raw Ikes on eBay, so I do not see this being an issue if you wanted to avoid slabs altogether.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun set to complete and the best part it's easy on the wallet
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lccsofan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone who has responded. Visited the Ike Group and discovered there's a lot to learn about such a short lived series. Thanks again for your help and encouragement.
Learn More...
United States
101823 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fun set to complete and the best part it's easy on the wallet
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05