Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Numised's Whitman 20th & 21st Century Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,404Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those from PCGS are the easiest, from ANACS the worst.

That's actually a huge surprise to me. I've never cracked a slab before, but by appearances, I would have assume ANACS easiest, then NGC, then PCGS toughest. Good to know as I'll likely be in the slab cracking game in a few short months
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ NumisEd, good looking set of quarters coming along nicely there.

Not to get off topic, but I've found ANACS to be the easiest. Flip the slab reverse side up, get a flathead in the top right quarter and twist. Once you pop the corner you can easily slide the flathead into the grade portion of the slab and pry up, safely away from the coin. Splits them perfectly in half almost every time.

PCGS and NGC I bust out the Foredom!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is one thing you learn when putting a Type Set together (apart from learning how to open slabs), is to have a lot of patience and not jump on the first coin you see. Take your time to look for coins that fit aesthetically together, perhaps by the same grade or strike. In any case, don't rush it and do not try to complete the set in a fortnight.
Edited by NumisEd
05/20/2021 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finished the proof Dime Series today (1900 Barber, 1940 Mercury, 1950 Roosevelt, 2018-W Roosevelt) and with that my 20th & 21st Century Type Set is complete!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3650 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woot woot! Congrats!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Finished the proof Dime Series today (1900 Barber, 1940 Mercury, 1950 Roosevelt, 2018-W Roosevelt) and with that my 20th & 21st Century Type Set is complete!
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! I have been thinking about doing this set instead of a dansco. I can't afford to do the other one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59361 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite an accomplishment, NumisEd. What's your next goal?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quite an accomplishment, NumisEd. What's your next goal?

I am working on the ATB Quarters set, but slowly. Only one US Mint box each four months.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9817 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the 1911 Proof V nickel. Really nice coin to have.
Beautiful set!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05