Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879-S Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
138 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2008  3:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1gtsfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
here is a Morgan I have had a few morgan's but I don't know what to look for in VAM's and would like to find out more about what to look for. thanks.

Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2008  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Figman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A guess, Looks like a C Reverse - Rounded Breast Slanted Feather
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2008  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start here:

http://www.vamworld.com/

Note the link on the left entitled "Morgan VAM's by date." That will take you to a breakdown of just about everything recorded for each individual VAM. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to completely attribute your coins with just that information, but it will give you an idea of what to look for with each date, and allow you to ask more specific questions here.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2008  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1gtsfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you guys, wow that is a whole lot of information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2547 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one amazing web site. Thanks for posting it.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1gtsfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any advice on trying to identify a VAM there are so many for each date.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonS.7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way I do it is to grab a good 10x loupe and very slowly and methodically study your coin. Then note if there are any odd or slightly different attributes. Then dig through the 1879-S section on VAM world looking at each and every VAM. I find it very interesting.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1gtsfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Jon, I have a 30x loupe, everyone seems to recommend a 10x I will have to get one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1gtsfan, you have been given some very valuable and informative guidance and I welcome you to a world of JOY, EXCITEMENT, BLOOD PUMPING, HAIR RAISEING, EXPLORATION of breaks and cracks and clashing and dbl'g dates, etc,i personally feel that there is nothing like a good die break or crack, HAVE FUN, BE WELL, MIKE
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2008  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jon, I'll try to get a synopsis of how I check them later today.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2008  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add repair7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the 10x you cas see the important stuff, 30x too much detail
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05