Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Canadian Silver Dollar With Unknown Error / Added 3 More Pics

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,216Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  8:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
This 1964 Silver dollar has been with me for a while and I recently got into collecting and thought I would post it to see if anyone knows what kind of error this is.

Edited by Rubenstein
03/17/2021 9:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a variety, just post mint damage and weird looking stains or toning :)
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,
That line running through the center is raised and the staining is actually the copper layer under the Silver.
I think it's a Cladding error combined with a Die break,
could even be a strike through, don't know but it's definitely not post damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1109 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver dollars have no 'copper layer' nor are they cladded.
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong! Silver clad with a copper core.
80% Silver 20% Copper.
But, thanks for your input I appreciate it.
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even the American 1922 Peace Silver Dollar is 90% Silver and 10% Copper, so it is a Silver clad Coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1109 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong again.

Only newer US coins, and certainly not Canadian silver coins, are cladded
Pillar of the Community
United States
4739 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you given it a bath? yet?
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1690 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!!

Canadian silver of this era was an alloy with 80% silver. There is no cladding or layering. Just an even alloy throughout. It looks to me like some
sort of environmental damage or chemical damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1690 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be glue.
Valued Member
Canada
389 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see this stuff all the time. This is old tape residue, has ruined countless coins with people taping them into folders and for some reason the glue in the old tape would destroy the coin. Is usually from old packing tape or "scotch" tape.

I think everyone here covered nicely the difference between clad coins and just an alloy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3953 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  01:28 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glued or taped to a Birthday card probably.
Not an error , just worth silver .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5995 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soak the coin in Acetone and it should remove any residual tape reside. A soak in Acetone will not hurt this coin.

Valued Member
Canada
237 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My non professional opinion is that small cents guy and Talonbat have completely and accurately identified the issue
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's like a coffee, you have a coffee with creamer, and for every 4 parts coffee, there is 1 part creamer.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot everyone for the info.
Sadly, I will lay this coin to rest and put it in my damaged coin collection.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,216Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05