Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Un Attributed 1889 O VAM 1a1 For Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 756Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
well I grabbed this one at the LCS today un attributed.
Unfortunately there is a S cut or stamped into the obverse from the back of the hair to the 4th star on the right . Ugh oh well I paid 40.00 and did not need this VAM but because it was my first E clash found in the wild I had to grab it.
My thought is XF-40 Details what say you

edited to say looks like strike thru wire. I think it will straight grade

Edited by JasonKflo
03/20/2021 7:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3369 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say high VF details from an old cleaning. Are you sure it wasn't struck through a piece of wire or thread?
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie it may be . I lightened up the pics I do not think it's been cleaned as it has nice natural color as far as the grade I think she makes 40 . Strike is not great but has more details than my 3 vf-35
Edited by JasonKflo
03/20/2021 6:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one for a top 100 Morgan VAM. I do think it is the vam-1a1 to me. Id also agree with a high VF grade on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the E-clash Morgans, especially the 1891-O version which has a much more obvious clash. This coin looks fairly graded at XF-40 and I don't think the s-mark constitutes a significant defect.

Congrats on this find!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at high VF details (cleaned) but still a nice pick-up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still dont see the cleaned part has a nice circulated color. It is much darker in hand than the photos show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I tried to take new photos with not so much light . Nice natural grey color.
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is on its way back from PCGS XF-40
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, way higher than I would have expected. I thought vf30 -35 when I opened this thread. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3369 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the grade, nice pickup!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did PCGS certify it as VAM-1a1?
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jaobler It went with a group submission from vamworld , VSS will attribute it, I do not have it back yet but that is the only one it can be. I wish it was the double clashed version 1a2 but its not. So it will come back as 1A1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10673 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think it makes XF40 and will come back straight
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are a few pics , it Graded XF-40 Straight graded

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 756Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05