Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Pennies Worth Grading?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,450Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  05:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I have 1968s,1969s, 1978s & 1981s proof coins is it worth it to get them graded? Also what is it about the glass like shine that just grabs your eyes, they are pretty coins

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19598 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No,
pretty coins though they may be.
grading and shipping fees are not justified by the potential value of the graded coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8095 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say no to grading 'common' Lincoln proof cents. Suggest checking ebay for PCGS, NCG, or ANACS graded/slabbed Lincoln cents for asking prices and sold/completed sale prices.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67902 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, not worth grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy complete proof sets for those years for $10.

The supply far exceeds the demand. I found this out when liquidating my dad's estate. The only modern proof sets with value higher than that contained a gold or silver coin. Even then, the price was basically bullion value for that coin.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20684 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. Save your money.
just carl
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your time & patience
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BearlyHere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying pre-slabbed coins is way less expensive unless you got a real doosey (i.e. V75 ASE)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7570 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of all my coins I have, only 3 are slabbed (so far) my 2 v75 ASE's and my 1914-D. Slabbing just for the grade on more common coins is usually not worth it. Unless you are looking to have a slabbed collection of all your coins for some reason.

EDIT:
For most of my proofs, I just keep them in their original enclosures for protection. Or I place them in an album I'm trying to complete
Edited by Dearborn
03/25/2021 6:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all the good advice. I "attend" lots of auctions and can usually find TPG graded coins for a lot less $$$ than the cost of submitting them myself. With proofs, the jump in value is usually with PF 68 and higher, especially if they are DCAM/UC. If I had the ability to recognize a 69 or 70 in an ungraded coin, it doesn't mean that a TPG will agree with me. So, for me, the safest way to have a proof in the highest grade is to buy one (if affordable, that is)...

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
1278 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent question, which has been answered. What I would add is, should you have them graded, at a grade of PF68 you'd break even based on the average auction prices of $30-60 found on the PCGS site. Now if by chance any were in PF69, the highest grade, the pay-off would most certainly be justified. For a coin to be a proof 69, there could be no visible marks or ticks to the naked eye and only one or two tiny flaws seen under 6x magnification or greater. As to the second question why they look "glass" like, the copper sheets are polished prior to being stamped into blank planchets and carefully fed into the coin press.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
03/28/2021 10:26 am
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the much needed knowledge everyone on this site is so helpful you people are awesome! Thanks again
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: