Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Grade 1858 20 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
157 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm at vg 8 on this one. What do you guys think. Thanks in advance

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18427 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If those dark spots are not pits in the surface of the coin, then I am at
VG-8 as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3889 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good 6
Needs an acetone bath .
Very poor eye appeal for the grade .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56761 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VG details (environmental damage, pitting).
Edited by Coinfrog
03/22/2021 10:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree with VG8. If you clean it the dots will still probably be there. I wouldn't bother.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
568 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that's a blundered I in VICTORIA no? They're not especially hard to find and, given the condition this poor thing is in I don't imagine that would bring much of a premium. A place holder for that variety if you're need one.

In terms of grade, I'm at VG-8 details...lots of details. I see hairlines - and given that, there's no way those splotches aren't pits in the surface.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with most of the grading here, a VG-8 sounds legit to me. By the way, what orientation does this have, either coin rotation or medal rotation? That changes the value dramatically, the coin rotation is the more common of the two according to coinsandcanada.com. An acetone soak would probably do this one some good here.
Valued Member
Canada
443 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfdollardan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG8 , Notorious for a weak strike.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1317 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G 6 Bld I
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1317 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G 6 Bld I
Aceton will not remove these spots I believe
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05