Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Think The Modern Comm. Train Is As Bad As The One From 1892 To 1939.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 588Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
741 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
We all know the ones from 1892-1939 were a runaway train.

Do you think that the commemorative coins since 1982 until today are just as bad as the ones from 1892-1939 in term of how many different ones have been released.

For the ones from 1982 until today I am including the 2009 Lincoln cent and the 2004-2005 Jefferson nickel as well as the State Quarters and the ATB Quarters as well as the Presidential dollars and innovation dollars and the Sacagawea dollars.

This is in addition to all the half dollars and other dollar coins and higher denominational coins that are minted.

Poll Choices
  Not as bad... yet.
  Just as bad.
  Even worse.
  No opinion.

Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is sort of misleading. The classic run did not get overrun until the mid 1930s. The modern issues can never be that bad because legislation prevents there being more than two programs a year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2245 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sacagawea dollars (2000-2008) are not commemorative coins. The Native American dollar series that began in 2009 however, feature "designs celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the history and development of the United States."
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True, but I think they are being included for the sake of the discussion because programs like those were not a thing during the classic era.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7111 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a somewhat flawed poll but I understand the intent.

Quote:
For the ones from 1982 until today I am including the 2009 Lincoln cent and the 2004-2005 Jefferson nickel as well as the State Quarters and the ATB Quarters as well as the Presidential dollars and innovation dollars and the Sacagawea dollars.

These are not generally seen as commemorative coins.

The modern commemorative series is limited by law to just 2 coin series per year so I cant imagine the 1936 classic silver commemorative abuse occurring again.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18533 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1892-1939 Halves were produced at a time when a much smaller percentage of the population were interested in collecting coins.
That, and the fact that the size of the population was smaller contributes to the relative rarity and helps to explain why the series is so popular today.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of thoughts:

1. Of the coins you've included, except for the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial cents and the 2004-05 Jefferson Westward Journey nickels, none are commemorative coins. I understand that they are commonly lumped in with the coins of the modern US commemorative program, but they are topical or thematic series, not commemorative coins. This somewhat invalidates the poll's responses (at least for me) because you are not comparing similar scenarios - the ol' apples to apples story.

2. Until 1996, and the passing of the Commemorative Coin Reform Act (CCRA), the modern US commemorative coin series was definitely heading in the same direction as the classic era series during its peak year of 1936. For example, there were 12 1995-dated coins released and 11 1996-dated coins - 23 coins in just two years (not counting proof and uncirculated versions). Compare that to 60 years earlier; in 1935, 16 commemorative coins were released (if P/D/S coins are counted individually) and in 1936, 31 coins were released (same caveat) - 47 coins in total in two years! Fortunately, the (CCRA) of 1996 limited the number of commemorative coin programs to two per year, but it's possible to have those two programs generate six (or more) individual coins. So, not perfect, but better than if left unchecked!

In the end, I don't believe the current program is worse than what was going on back in the 1930s. With safeguards in place, collectors won't be abused to the same degree - unless they also try to keep up with all of the Mint's topical releases and future coins like the 2020 gold Mayflower.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your actual question, I am certainly tired of the rampant redesigning of current circulation coinage, I want to stick to a design for a few years (except you Roosevelt). The innovation dollars are pretty but the Native American dollars are still going, the presidentials are still a thing, the quarters are beyond reason, and it's all just getting too much to bear. Modern stuff is a nightmare for me.

However, the question I initially assumed you were asking, about actual commemoratives, I think they are doing well, I like the 2 halves, 2 dollars per year. The variety is nice, they aren't circulation coinage, and it is slow enough to be reasonable and fast enough to keep interest.
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.
Excellent commentary!

Quote:
I think they are doing well, I like the 2 halves, 2 dollars per year. The variety is nice, they aren't circulation coinage, and it is slow enough to be reasonable and fast enough to keep interest.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the way the poll was asked, I voted worse. If we limit it to just the commems (half dollar, dollar, gold) I would probably vote just as bad. While there is not going to be a 1936 abuse, I still don't think most of today's commems are based on events worthy of a US coin. Maybe I am wrong on that and I am just frustrated with the US Mint and its lack of concern for collectors.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my online sleuthing, I feel a lot of European countries have it much much worse when it comes to their commemorative coin programs than the US. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I feel I'm looking at over 10-20 different commemorative designs being produced per year for a lot of the countries.

Take The Royal Mint for example: https://www.royalmint.com/ and go explore their shop tab. It's suffocating the number of series and coins their mint produces each year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Australia and Canada come to mind.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2047 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are quite a few variables that could be discussed about the classic and modern commemorative eras. The poll largely focuses on one of the variables - multiple dates and mints for the same design - and it is a legitimate issue for discussion.

Some of the other / overlapping variables include:
Worthiness of the events being commemorated
Aesthetics of the design
Quality of strike and appearance of the coins
Overabundance or inadequacy of mintage
Percentage of mintage effectively controlled by insiders or favored buyers or dealers
What was done with unsold coins
Number of different finishes (proof, satin, reverse, etc.)
Number of intentional design varieties (stars, privy marks etc.)
Long-term reaction to the coins (and it's probably still too early to assess this for the modern commemoratives)

If we're looking at the overabundance of dates and mints for the same design, the 1930s was its heyday. If we combine variables, and include, for example, both the overabundance of dates and mints for the same design and the overabundance of finishes for the same date, the answer may well be different.

Just a couple thoughts from the geezer's corner.
Edited by fortcollins
04/08/2021 6:35 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 588Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05