Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finding Sac Dollars In The Wild, What's The Easiest Way?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,227Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  8:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tezro128 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've yet to find a single Sac dollar for my collection, and the last time I ever found one was at a vending machine in around 2015 or so. It was very beat up, too.

What's the trick to finding them easily? My bank rarely has a single roll of them. And when/if I do, how do you go about preserving them? I've heard that they're very prone to discoloration and scratching.
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found several vending machines that give them back. Toss in a few quarters or singles and see what comes out.
As for preservation, most circulated examples aren't going to change much more once they lose their luster. If you really want an uncirculated example, I'm sure you could get one on the 'bay for a couple bucks and put it in a 2x2. Also just keep asking at the bank; I got a roll of mostly BU 2000s a couple years ago.

Edited by Numisma
03/31/2021 10:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to visit the Chicago Federal Reserve when I was in college several years ago for a class "field trip" and they had a change machine in their money museum (similar to the old school token machines at arcades) that spit them out if you fed it dollar bills (I think it took higher denominations besides $1). Don't know if they still offer it (notwithstanding whether COVID has modified the operation of the museum itself).
Edited by mrpapageorgio
04/01/2021 12:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40032 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know if they still do, but self serve machines at post offices used to give change back like that. Try buying rolls of dollars from different banks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have a candy machine at work that takes credit cards, bills and change. If you put a dollar bill in it and hit the coin return button, it spits out a dollar coin instead of your dollar bill :)

I play it like a slot machine and always win :)

There's also a local car wash that only works on dollar coins. So you go stick a 10 dollar bill in it and get back 10 random coins
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is so ironic I have several hundred sac dollars . I think it's were you are , I've gotten over a $1000 in assorted dollars and have a foot $2000 more .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1502 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some transit stations use them for change in the ticket machines. the post office machines also. if that's not your cup of tea, the banks near those locations are usually sitting on them from the post office and transit customers trying to change them back into bills, and glad to find someone that wants to take them.
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the post office machines also.
I used to get small dollars there until the replaced with a cashless machine several years back.
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webekin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy ice for some members of the local Amish community. The ice vending machine gives back dollar coins. If I need 3 bags of ice, I insert a $5.00 or $10.00 dollar bill for each bag purchased pocketing the coins returned as change. President, Sac's and SBA coins, all mine saved for my old age. Webekin
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15569 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Tezro 128 , well you might have to wait till the covid virus is over and done with . Going into the bank with your mask on , They might think your a bank robber .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local bank lobby is still closed for over a year now so obtaining rolls is not an option. Pre COVID, I was able to get rolls but they were not mixed date rolls, rather original mint rolls of the same date and while they were technically uncirculated they were of poor quality with bagmarks and spots all over them. Hard to find a collectible example from several rolls. I think you are better off just purchasing pairs of P and D for each year on ebay. They are not that expensive and the series is not very large. The 2012 coins will be the most expensive. All 2012 coins demand a premium. And if you are collecting the proof versions, they are about $4-$5 each until you get to 2010 when they jump to about $10 each. Technically the Sacagaweas run from 2000-2008 and after that they are called Native American but I lump them all in the category of Sacs because they share the same obverse.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thomas21w to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting the Sacs about 2 months ago and have had moderate success.

I've managed to collect 2000-2006, 2009-11, 2014, 2016, 2019 P&D. I've also hit some others within those years but no 2008, 2015 or 2018. I even managed to snag an S for 2000, 2005, 2008.

My post is to provide a little insight that most of this has been done through just asking for rolls through various banks. Probably about 40 rolls worth. My bank also did just order me a box and that was successful.

My question I'm hoping someone can answer is after 2012 were they released into circulation or are they only available for purchase? Just was curious if I was looking at a very uphill battle or not on these as the montage numbers are pretty low.
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My question I'm hoping someone can answer is after 2012 were they released into circulation or are they only available for purchase?
They were only available in bags and rolls from the mint. The ones you find in circulation are usually "rejects" from those purchases.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
586 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very easy to find 2000P and D as the mintage was huge. Starting in 2002 most years really weren't circulated and the mintage is relatively low. I've had success going to banks. The tellers usually have a handful in their trays. I've found it's hard to get rolls as most banks I've tried don't have them on hand. If you are a customer at a bank, then you could potentially get them to order rolls for you. This is similar for Presidential dollars which circulated for the first five years, then the mintage drops way down as they were no longer issued for circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I occasionally toss coins in a vending machine and see what comes out of the coin return. I've gotten a 2009-P, a 2012-D, and many, many 2000s from both mints.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,227Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05