Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Starting A Proof Barber Dime Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,033Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  01:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bryton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What challenges will I face if I start a complete set of proof Barber dimes in the proof 60-63 range. Obviously I will be omitting the 1894-s. The prices seem way too low for the mintage so I feel like I'm missing something. Is it just not a popular set?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8520 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  02:11 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

As for challenges many PF-61 and PF-62 coins are going to appear heavily hairlined. It will always be vastly better to see the coin in hand prior to purchasing it. If you have a good local coin shop, and the seller is also a dealer, they may be willing to ship the coin to your LCS so that you can see it in hand prior to purchase. If that is possible I'd highly recommend doing so.

As for prices, Barber dimes are the red-headed step-child of the Barber coins to a great extent, they've much cheaper than their higher denomination siblings, which makes them very affordable which is a huge plus to doing a set of them.

Granted, a full date set of Barber dime proofs in PF62/3 would cost you around $10k, so cost is still very present.

Barber dimes come with a huge sample of toned coins, however, if you're not a fan of toners, finding original coins will be a real tough challenge.

So, the TLDR is, try to see them in hand, and if you can't expect worse than what's in the pics. Choose a coin with eye appeal you like. Don't break the bank on any one coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17297 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56880 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like an interesting challenge. Agree that finding specimens in the PR60-62 range with curb appeal will be difficult.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2728 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look through the listings on eBay, as I have, you can get an idea what Proof 60-63 coins look like and what they sell for.
Paul Bulgerin
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all of your help. I can see tracking down each year is going to be a challenge but I plan on making this just a buy as I go kinda thing completing it over multiple years. It still seems crazy how low some of those prices are though. There's less than 500 pieces of some years yet they're only in the 3-7 hundred dollar range. If it was a Lincoln cent that had that low of mintage it'd be in the multi thousand dollar range at a minimum!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any reason for a Proof set apart from cost? Otherwise, I would consider doing a Barber dime set in high grade circulated condition where each coin has a "circulation cameo" appearance.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to do the proof set of the Barber dimes because I love the Barber dime series in general. I've already completed the circulation set in the grades I wanted but I still want to add to my Barber dime collection!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good.
We will be looking forward to see your progress!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3396 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!! Any collection in proofs is always a challenge, from limited issues, lower quality proofs aren't usually attractive and high cost for some issues.

Barry G did a beautiful set in mostly proofs for the 7070 and that was impressive

https://barrygoldberg.net/coincollection.htm

And not all the coins are proof. Like I said it's a challenge, I hope you stick with it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3396 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of the Barber coinage, I only like the Dimes and Nickels :)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
195 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two points:
1. In comparing eye appeal of a proof set vs. a business strike set, although proofs in the lower uncirculated grades will have hairlines and hits, chances are they'll also have more lustrous mirrors and stronger strikes. For my Type Sets, I often find using proof coins are actually less expensive than business strikes for the same grade/Registry points, yet have much nicer eye appeal, where the proof coin shows the coin much closer to what the designer envisioned.
2. While @Bryton is somewhat surprised that low populations of many proof dates are so reasonably priced, you must recognize there are TWO parts to the pricing equation: supply AND demand. Yes, the supply is low, but so is the demand, hence the low pricing. For example, I just scribbled a doodle on a piece of paper, and signed my name. This is rare, as it's only one of a kind. But other than my girlfriend, there's zero demand for it, hence no value!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of the Barber coinage, I only like the Dimes and Nickels

Barber nickels don't exist..?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8520 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Barber nickels don't exist..?

Actually, you'd be wrong. The Liberty Head Nickel was also designed by Charles E. Barber. Because of that, it would not be wrong to call it a barber nickel.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool idea, hope to hear how it turns out. It seems to me dimes are sometimes the forgotten sector of US circulation coins. Good luck on the hunt!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,033Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05