Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S Lincoln Penny. Possible Doubling On Obverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 238Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  01:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedMP1972 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone with an educated eye tell me if what I am seeing is doubling on the devices on the obverse of this penny, or not.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56863 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighting angle makes it difficult to evaluate these pics, but it looks pretty normal to me so far.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50760 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mark on the top of the device is a contact mark from the rim of another coin. On a doubled die, there would be a spread on the center s of the devices.

Note the size of the devices on your coin? Note how much smaller they are compared with a doubled die. The difference? The spread in the centers of the devices that are hubbed on the die making the spread visible. Note other devices on this DDO:
FS-103:

DDO-003 FS-102:

Wider spread on the DDO-002, FS-107

So look at the centers of the devices, not on the outside edges of the devices. I prefer to use side by sides to see the differences between a normal coin and a doubled die: (Different year)
1971-S FS-101 compared with a normal coin.

Note on the second one, the dates are different sizes, but the mintmarks are the same size. That is because the die is created first, then the mintmark punch back then was added to the die later. So you are seeing on the date on this one, the actual enlargement of the devices, that are on the die. Thus the term, 'Doubled Die.'

Note the spread on the centers of the devices? A doubled die is not about just the outside, but more so on the middle of the devices. Training the eye, will help you spot this going forward.

Sometimes I use side by sides to see the differences between two doubled dies to see the differences:

Note on these two 'Liberty' from two different dies. Note how close they look like each other? But looking at the other devices on these two coin devices, they are not from the same die. Note the differences in the spreads on the other devices on the coin. So sometimes, it takes a skillful eye to spot the differences between different doubled die. (all the devices must match in order to be from that die) Thus even mintmark locations/shapes/styles, also need to be a match on doubled die as well.

So training your eyes to see differences, will help more, than just checking the edges of devices.

CoopHome: How can I train my eyes to spot a doubled die?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/02/2021 10:07 am
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop
Thank you for your patience and knowledge sharing. Kudos!!
JB
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedMP1972 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop,

Thank you so much for your in depth explanation. Being new to this hobby I appreciate your insights, experience and patience.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05