Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have An Opportunity To Buy Some Proof Sets But I Need Help.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 925Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an opportunity to go to a local auction where there are many many proof sets available. The oldest I've seen so far is 1946 proof set. I want to buy five sets but I don't know which years or sets to target. I need advice please.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56612 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll tell you for a start that there were no proof sets made in 1946!
Edited by Coinfrog
04/04/2021 10:13 am
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok you got me. Its not a proof set. Its a coin set however there are proof sets available. I still need help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9638 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the info you need is in the left hand column under "US Proof Sets".
There is info on numbers produced and what they are currently selling for on eBay.
A good use of the resources supplied by CCF
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it looks like from 1943 to 1949 no proofs or proof sets were made.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JimmyD I didn't realize that resource was there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like an aftermarket company assembled these sets and created their own CoA's for it. The set looks ok to me, It is not made from the U.S. Mint though. so if you are looking for the set as a keepsake for the history of a particular year, then go for it. The price may be a little steep for me though. I reminds me of other after market sellers like "The Franklin Mint" stuff.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greysheet, PCGS.com, and NGCcoin.com can be good resources for relative value (which sets are worth more than others). Prices are all over the place for actual sets at auctions I have visited. You probably want ones that are actually produced by the US Mint and not knock-offs. They should have original boxes and COAs to be worth most.

Modern proof sets with silver coins are hot, too, as well as those with recognized varieties. Sometimes UNC Mint Sets can be just as valuable (or just about), especially early 1960s.

So, those guide resources might help with what is rarer or more valuable.
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15173 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your unable to view the reverse's of any sets in that auction then don't even bother making a bid .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50614 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the 1960-1964 cents and nickel Proof set singles. When they get that old sometimes the cello turns the colors a bit.

One of out 50 cellos gave me the clear color toned copper cent.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is a set from San Fran for 1981, look for type-2 MMs.

If you want sets with varieties, try this link: http://www.varietyvista.com/25%20Wh...arieties.htm
Edited by CentSation
04/04/2021 5:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here's an update on my first coin auction. I really don't want to share my disappointment at the outset if I paid too much. So, if I may, I will tell what's in the lot and If I can get some feedback such as how much you would have paid for it, I really would appreciate it.

This lot has:
Three 2008 S Proof Sets
Two 2007 S Proof Sets
All have their original hard case plastic, but they do not come with boxes.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will look also for 1957, 1958 and 1971 proof set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need more information. Did the 2007 and 2008 sets include Presidential dollars, all the State Quarters?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2007 has many kind of sets, like others after. Me I have separate because are first day certify by NGC in MS 67. and also proof all three sets in one package. Look at the package.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the 1968 proof and mint sets. Lots of possible error coins including the "no S" dime in the proof set. Be aware that most of these sets may already have been cherrypicked. Also note that older sets (especially from a non- usmint) may have PVC haze on the coins.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 925Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05