Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Recommend A Good App?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 268Next Topic  
United Kingdom
19 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have loads to go through and am writing things on paper but is there software e.g a simple free app that can store a description and an image and search key words.

That's easy to use ?
Sue
Pillar of the Community
United States
5212 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A spreadsheet (I use Excel) is most often used.
Allows you to tailor your input to your tastes, and they change you do your own editing.
You can even put an image on your computer and have a link in the spreadsheet.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4661 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel is probably the best way to go. Each coin worth more than a few dollars is numbered, and I have a folder of images named by number for easy reference. My spreadsheet has 42 columns for just about everything I could possibly want to keep track of.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18357 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most practical 'app' I have found is to write a full description of the coin, along with when, and how much paid for it, on the 2x2 which holds it.
If you wish to move the coin to a different part of your collection or to re arrange your collection, all of the information relating to the coin moves with it.
I do the same with the photographic record of my collection.
Bonus: There is never any need to update your data base, because you don't need one.

An app with pictures perhaps useful if even a small part of your collection is slabbed or in push in holes. If that is the case, you must have a 100% reliable way of linking your slabbed or album coins to your data base, particularly if your collection is large.
A downside may be that if you relocate a coin or you rearrange your collection, the date base will have to reflect this.

Museums use data bases to manage their very large and diverse collections, but professional curators are employed. Perhaps it may be worthwhile to visit a museum with a large collection, and ask how they go about it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Excel for me, too.

Though I've got fewer than a dozen columns:
Country
Ruler
Date/Date Range
Mint
Denomination
Catalog Ref
Grade
Provenance
Price paid
Comments

As @sel said, much of this can be fit on the 8 corners of a 2 x 2
Purchase

Edited by tdziemia
04/05/2021 10:21 am
United Kingdom
19 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. Will learn excell.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me to the list of spreadsheet users. This has been my go-to solution for well over three decades now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7760 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Filemaker Pro database. Write my own database, it's not a hard thing to learn, and now it's getting even easier these days. There are free options either with spreadsheet or database through Open Office software.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4661 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you all. Will learn excell.

It's absolutely worth it. Once you're familiar, it's good for practically everything.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once you're familiar, it's good for practically everything.

I use spreadsheets for everything. Budgets, investments, logs, "Guess The Price," and so on...
United Kingdom
19 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My laptop had Excel so I started from a template and put in my first record which has tdziemia text fields and a photo hyperlink. Well actually hubby did it lol. He said I have so many coins that it is far more efficient if I just scan both sides of 100 coins or what fits the scanner at 1200 dpi and can always cut out the TIFF of a coin of interest and JPEG it if I need to post it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's absolutely worth it. Once you're familiar, it's good for practically everything.

I agree with that. I use Excel for everything. I don't even use Word anymore. It's far easier to document and move things around in an Excel sheet.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He said I have so many coins that it is far more efficient if I just scan both sides of 100 coins or what fits the scanner at 1200 dpi and can always cut out the TIFF of a coin of interest and JPEG it if I need to post it.
That worked for me when scanning old photos.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05