Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1795 Half Dollar Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  9:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My friend inherited some coins including this well worn 1795 half dollar and he wants to know a fair value as he wants to sell it.
I know not the best pics but best I have.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say PO-01, FR-02 at best, basically a hole-filler.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4661 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with PO-01. Well worn, but more or less problem-free. You can check out sold listings on eBay to get an idea of value: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...ete=1&_pgn=1

Tell your friend to take care of it! I would recommend getting some Mylar flips or 2x2s to avoid damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7053 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best price for that coin is to find a dedicated lowball collector - they are few and far between but if that coin were in a TPG PO01 slab it would sell at auction for a lot more than as is and easily cover the grading fees.

Risky to try but the reward is there if the coin makes the cut.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/07/2021 05:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2246 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$500 retail these days. No serious problems other than wear, and it has a clear date. Some could argue more or less, but it's in the ballpark.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/07/2021 09:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1918 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. It looks like an Overton-128 (or what's left of it). The obverse makes Fair-02. The reverse barely makes Poor-01, but some of that may be due to strike quality, as well as wear. Because of the strong date, I'd net it upward to Fair-02. The deliberate scratches (graffiti?) on the obverse may detail the coin. I don't think it snags the coveted lowball grade.

As to price

It's heavily circulated, but it's still marketable. IMHO, you would have a better shot on a bourse floor than eBay. I'd be afraid of this one selling way below value on eBay. It will take the right buyer to bring good value here, and it's a lot easier and less costly to say "no" on a bourse floor than on eBay.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05