Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan 1888 S . Three Questions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 148Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First let me say that this Morgan is up for auction and these are seller photos not mine, so the quality and clarity are what they are.

1) Does the coin look original or do you think it might have been cleaned? (It looks original to me)

2) Is it an appealing look to you or unappealing?

3) What grade do you think it might be?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9643 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing an S mint mark but I would take a pass on this one regardless. It has been dipped and the remaining toning is terminal stage and close to environmental details.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2977 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a previous dipping with bad retoning, probably AU details.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not seeing an S mint mark

You know, I never even looked for the S ...... the seller called it an S and said it wasn't cleaned. Glad you noticed that and gave your opinion. Here's the auction listing ........ https://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-S-Mor...303941383777
Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing the S mint mark. I'm not convinced it's been cleaned--not saying it hasn't, just not convinced it has. Low-to-mid AU for me. The seller has set an opening bid of $135 (ebay). Wouldn't touch it, given the mint mark concern. Maybe the seller had a photo/description boo boo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9643 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The seller has set an opening bid of $135

This makes it an easy pass....
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The seller has set an opening bid of $135

I never intended to bid on or buy this Morgan ..... I saw the opening bid and thought it too high to even consider, but I was just curious about those three questions I asked to see if others opinions aligned with mine. I

I thought it was an original surface.
I thought if it was it would grade at 50 or 53.
And I wasn't so sure about eye appeal. A side of me liked it and another side not so sure, and wanted to hear others opinions ....... so thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55777 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Original, unappealing, AU-50.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9923 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05