Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 Penny Obverse Doubling Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 153Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jenabelle112 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Still learning.... is there doubling in the 70 and Liberty? Also the FG initials on the back are not quite there.....?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38463 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Going to need better photos. If it is in a holder remove it and take new photos with less glare and a bit better focus please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49990 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The glare is hiding what you see, but what we can't see, because of the glare. Glare is often caused by light reflecting back, from too much light, or from reflection on a flattened device. . So taking images can have a better result, if the light flows across the dies devices and not spotlighted on a single area. Diffused light has better results. Also a single light source allows light and shadows. Multiple lighting removes the shadow affect. So getting the light just right, takes forethought to get it right on each image all the time. Experimenting will fix the issue, but getting the light correct is the goal. Keep working on this to get it correct, then we will see, what you are seeing on your coin.
One of the tricks I use on images that have some glare is to invert the image colors:

Note On this image, you can see the glare totally block what the finder sees. While we on the other end can't see. On the inverted image, we can see what the glare is hiding. On your images the light is so strong it is like trying to take an image with the best color film of the sun. Controlling the amount of light is important.

I mentioned earlier about the reflecting light. The same inverting the color process let me see what the finder could see, but on our end, we could not see anything different:

On this one the affected areas were flat, and when the light his these areas, the reflection hid from us what he could see, but we couldn't see.

Getting it right is like shooting at a target and missing it. We want to be on the target. So try different set ups, reduce lighting. Sometimes even unwanted light can create distractions. So I use some ways of blocking the direction of the lighting:

How can your tell what direction the light maybe coming from? by placing you hand around and determine: Room lights, sunligtht through a window, or even reflected light. So the blocker on my scope, even paper can block unwanted lighting.

ALso the single light theory. Some will put a spot light on something, when all they need a light. The result, glare. But allowing the light to fall over a device, may be as simple as rotating the coin to let what you want to be seen, is not in direct light, but allowing the light and shadows to work to your advantage:

Allow the light/shadows to paint a picture, rather than direct the spot light on what we feel is the the thing we want to see. Sometimes on a painting, the obvious is spot lighted, but other background scenery is just as important. So experiment. Don't settle for what you think works. When you see something different in an image and you feel it is an improvement, try to figure out what you did differently that made that image better. When your do, use it in future images. That is progress. That is a better thing. Hope this helps.

CoopHome : Why can't I get my images to show, what I see on a coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/08/2021 09:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55777 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 153Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05