Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Difference Between Silver And Regular Proof Sets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 371Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This seems obvious, but I just want to make sure. In looking at the penny, nickel, and later the dollar, are these coins exactly the same in both sets ? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. Only the denominations made of coin silver until 1964 (the dime, quarter, and half) are silver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15202 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But I believe in the late 90's some sets had 40% silver Dimes , Quarters and Halves .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver Proof Sets started again in 1992, and the used coins (dimes, quarters, & half dollars) were made with 90% silver.
The last couple of years the silver was upped to .999% silver.

I believe shug23 is asking if the 'penny' in the regular proof set (let's say 2020) is exactly the same as the 'penny' from the 2020 Silver Proof Set. Any differences?

I personally do not know. I WISH there IS a difference, because I've already gotten the base proof set this year, and would prefer not to have to pay $105 for the silver set and only get four coins that are different than what I already have (ie; I would get three repeats). At least in the Canadian Silver Proof Sets, ALL COINS (even the cent) are made of silver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only guarantee the Cent coin in all Proof sets are NOT Silver.
just carl
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do know that the uncirculated set is different than the circulating set/coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17335 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I believe in the late 90's some sets had 40% silver Dimes , Quarters and Halves .

The olny proof sets that had 40% silver coins were 1968-70 (half dollars only) 1971-74 brown ikes, and bicentenial three coin proof sets. There were never any 40% silver dimes.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 371Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05