Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

To Submit For Regrading Or Not Submit - That Is The Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 399Next Topic  

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RollinCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Morning All...

I was reexamining a coin I got back from grading a month or so ago. When I first got it back I was just disappointed with grading and stuck it in a draw... But now looking over, I feel like it was under-graded. Coin has nice luster... and I think the details on the obverse hair and reverse chest... as well as the cleanness of the fields warrants a grade higher than AU55.

Curious what others think... and def appreciate peoples input on whether they would 1) Accept Grade or 2) Submit for Regrade

Thanks! Hope you had a great weekend

Pillar of the Community
United States
4016 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first glance, I'd think AU58 would be tops. Some photos are showing a fair degree of light dings and rubs. Reverse looks a bit better than the obverse. Others will weigh-in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3048 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks clearly AU to me—whether it's a 55 or 58, probably not worth trying to resubmit it. Also, it's got some light hairlines on the obverse, and you might be lucky it wasn't detailed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57048 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, I think AU-58 would be the highest it might fetch.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3895 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Properly graded at 55 .
Just a few too many light hairlines.
Still a decent coin .
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RollinCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate your insight!!

If anyone has any online recommendations to learn how to better grade morgan or Peace dollars, it would be so helpful.

Hope you all have a great weekend
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3895 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to PCGS for an online grading tutorial .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9609 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice piece, I agree with AU55 from what can be seen in the images.
ANA #R3154474
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not resubmit this coin. I think AU55 is quite accurate. The obverse counts for 80% of total grade and there seems to be quite a bit of rubbing along the hair above the ear and also the hat at the back of the head. I have seen fields with more scratches and dings on an MS64 but this isn't the only attribute that is judged. Please refer to the PCGS Photograde pages online.

Cheers
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05