Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Blank Lincoln Planchet

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,857Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  02:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vin71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here another one for your expertise. Definitely it Lincoln Penny that has, Lincolns image on the obverse and the Memorial on the reverse. No motto or date on it.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39525 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Size and weight?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18588 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not a blank planchet - there is some evidence of LMC design, both sides.
Even so, I haven't seen wear like this before, so still maybe? an error, but I can't think what sort.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58407 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll send out the Coop-Signal.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/12/2021 09:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the rounded rims I think this might just be extremely well worn. PO-01 grade?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5641 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like it used to be a pocket coin that's been rubbed for a long time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4780 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight will tell a lot of the story
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51873 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note on the image on the lower part of this one:

Note how weak the low pressure strike area. This is coupled with a Struck Through Grease, but something with it is true with your coin. Note the rim on the low pressure strike? There is none. Where as on the Grease struck through the rim is present. on your coin, the rim is present. So it was there, someone removed it. When the weight comes in it will confirm that this a damage coin.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a guess - a wave worn coin found on a beach - like the well worn sea glass pieces.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6061 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The absence of rims tell the whole story, Not a mint error, just wear and/or an acid bath perhaps. If it had rims it would be extra cool, but as is, no premium I'm afraid.

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
4418 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May have been duped into taking a ride in a rock tumbler during a fine(r) grit stage--not being freed for quite a spell. Interested in learning the coin's weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'll have to wait for the weight....leaning towards PMD....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51873 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish someone that had a rock tumbler would take a before/during/after image to see if that they would look like? I could use images like these. (Use a BU coin zinc/BU coin copper/Circulation one of each. (4 coins) Use different dates or one of each type On wheat/one wheat steel/on memorial/shield) so you can tell which one is which. It might answer questions about what we are seeing here that we would know happened to these coins.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop with some wizardry here....thanks for the analysis. Not something one sees every day, cool coin-like metal :)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18588 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Rothery suggestion that it may be a beach coin.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,857Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05