Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Snag Of The Day 1915 Buffalo Nickel PCGS MS62

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,152Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TVs. Seller had other pictures but they were honestly awful.
I have made at least one purchase where this was the case. I am thankful I always check the certification for images, otherwise I would have missed out on a good deal.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a beauty!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2053 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS whiffed on this one.

I took the TruView pics, eliminated color completely, reduced lighting, and tinkered a bit with contrast.* That exposes the coin's surface without the toning hiding surface details.

Obverse: There is a very light surface scratch WSW-ENE from the tip of the first feather across the second feather and hair to just above the eyebrow. There is a small, but slightly deeper E-W scratch at the truncation of the neck. There is a very light surface scratch from the knot to the top lip. That's it.

Reverse: there is a small N-S scratch just east of the buffalo's left front leg. There is a small surface scratch from the top of buffalo's back to the first "A" in AMERICA. There are three parallel weak scratches SW-NE from the lower shoulder to the back, ending just below UNUM. There is a moderate E-W surface scratch from the back of the buffalo's head to UNUM.

Strike and die polishing aside, the obverse is a solid MS-64 and the reverse is a classic MS-63, for a net MS-63+.

IMHO, PCGS doesn't do a good job of eye appeal adjusting the Buffs. I think they adjusted this one down a full step for perceived strike weakness and die polishing marks. I disagree, strongly. The strike is average for the date. (I sure hope they didn't see the weak LIBERTY as a strike issue. It is a design issue for 1913-14-15 Buffs.) The die polishing is average for die state, and accounts for the weak second feather and weak tail.

*TIP: This technique makes TruView pics reveal their dirty little secrets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8068 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fortcollins, thanks for the insights on the photoshop work. I'm very well versed in it already, having made a living with it in my photography business for a couple decades. The complete removal of color isn't something I remember trying before, I just ran it on some coins I've been researching where only TruViews are known besides some old B&W tiny auction catalog photos in poor halftone prints. This helped me to see some more details on a couple of coins I've often wondered about. They are just as spectacular without the toning as with it, explaining why they continue to bring record prices every time they sell ever decade or so.

That said to anyone not wanting to sign up for Adobe Photographers package at $10/month for Photoshop and Lightroom there is a new alternative to them in Serif Software's "Affinity" they also have other Illustrator and InDesign type programs I've been testing on both Apple and Windows. Great stuff and on sale at a really reasonable price of $25 each now. Check them and give them a shot with a demo, much easier to use than the freeware programs I've tried in the past like GIMP.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't undergraded, PCGS was just underpaid
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58321 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite a piece of work by @fortcollins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15418 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's quite a piece of work by @fortcollins.

As always ,of cause .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FortCollins is THE Buffalo man! "Every Man Is My Superior In That I May Learn From Him". Just a quote from All in the Family.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,152Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05