Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1929 D Buffalo Nickel Grade Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 348Next Topic  

United States
47 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sam2nth2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for help grading this 1929 D Buffalo nickel.

I feel it is AU58 or maybe MS60/61.

I has luster just does not really pop.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56734 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50, possibly 53.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bit if a weak strike, causing some flatness primarily in the reverse high points (the usual spots). Even with that weakness I'm seeing enough rub to keep it out of MS ( noticeable on the high points of the head and left hind leg). Minor lamination issue on the obverse. I'm at AU58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15187 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to show full coin photos for better grade results .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might want to take a closer look at that MM, tough to judge from these, but there might be a minor RPM hiding there
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sam2nth2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry missed a photo of the reverse.

Also here is close up of MM.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1898 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicks on both sides and a thin scratch on the buffalos body keep it at AU55.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
04/16/2021 4:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3907 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Appears to fall in the lower AU range.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sam2nth2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that is a true RPM, how does the effect the value in respect to grade?

The more I look at it, the more it looks a lot like a RPM with it rotated to the right.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU-55 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1074 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to say...
Maybe AU53-55?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at this one again on the big screen I'll have to bump mine down to AU55.

Thought I possibly saw a split serif in the first pic, but just looks like a circulation hit in the close up. Placement is also off from any listed minor's.

Minor RPM's don't usually add much premium , if any sometimes, except to the niche collector. Also dependent on the RPM.

Overall nice above average 29-D
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New