Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying Shipwreck For Sea-Salved 1777 Potosi 8 Reales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 467Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bayareacoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there - I'm new to the forums and happy to be here.
I have a 1777 Potosi-mint 8 reales that I am positive is sea-salvaged. I am wondering if anyone has an idea what wreck this could have come from? I know its a longshot. Thank you in advance.

Learn More...
United States
33730 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know little about sea-salvaged coins, but weren't most of the coins struck in the "new world"?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1349 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if there is a way to identify a ship with your coin, as I don't see any identifying markers.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10321 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Almost impossible to tell what shipwreck, if it even was, that it came from.
Sometime after 1777.
Do you have any paperwork saying that it is a shipwreck coin? Without it ,
it would be hard to prove.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bayareacoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any paperwork, but the "corrosion" on the coin appears pretty clearly to be a result of salt water. Other than the light corrosion, coin is in great shape and may even be uncirculated. Considering, I thought maybe someone knew of a wreck with freshly-minted coins coming from or around Potosi in the year 1777. I understand its a longshot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1798 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Identifying a providence of that coin my prove to be very difficult without any paper work tracing it back. You my cave to talk to the folks you got it from, and work backwards from there and finally get a manifest or ships log that identifies it.

Good luck
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Learn More...
United States
101029 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10321 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to eliminate one possibility, are you sure it's genuine, where did you obtain it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3296 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may just be the photos But the 7 s look off to me.
https://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/...38-0436g.jpg
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10321 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More than the the 7 is off, that's why I'm asking where he obtained it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not making any judgement about real or fake based on those photos but the coin appears to me to have ground burial damage as opposed to salt water damage. There have been several large ground finds over the years of Potosi 8 Reales in the 1775-1780 date range. Clear photos of the edges and a weight or specific gravity test would help determine real or fake.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
5122 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bayareacoin I would agree with most of the comments above. The first issue is always:

Is the coin genuine? Specific gravity might be slightly on the high side since copper erodes more easily than silver in particular for shipwreck coins. An XRF test might also be helpful. In this case any gold trace will be very very small compared to Mexico but Arsenic and cadmium are far more likely to appear in measurable amounts. Anything resembling a pure alloy of copper and silver alone could point to a modern forgery. Traces of iridium or heavy earth elements used to improve electrical conductivity should NOT be found in a Bolivian silver coin. I would definitely assess any XRF tests with great caution and someone very familiar with false positives should interpret the raw data.

I have far less familiarity with XRF testing of Bolivian coins that I do with Mexican issues. However, the mine at Potosi in 1777 did very little to remove most trace elements that were not very easily oxidized by heating the metal to a liquid state.

Regarding the shipwreck, I would NEVER accept an attribution to a specific shipwreck without formal recovery data. A guess is easy to make but impossible to prove.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5122 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just rechecked XRF test results from Potosi, Bolivia silver and there are two trace contaminants that might have survived refining techniques used in the 1770's and may be present in the silver used - Tin and Bismuth. They are contaminants in the same order of magnitude as arsenic and of greater magnitude than the potential for finding significant gold.

I would like to see any XRF test results so that I could compare them.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05