Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Silver Dollar Struck Through Wire On Obverse Close Up Pictures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 730Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  5:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got a new phone and tried out my camera and macro lens. Turned out
pretty cool, you can see the wire cut across the A in the legend and
in detail it looks like the trapped wire was a twisted pair. The coin flip
said planchet flaw. I like silver error coins.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58221 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me that looks like a bag mark from a similar coin with a reeded edge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...those photos were taken by a phone...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arc radius seems a tad too wide for a bag mark. Thinking out
loud here @Coinfrog.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3390 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  05:04 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
struck through a rim burr.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find the last photo a bit intriguing. Funny things happen in human visual circuits when three dimensions have to be jammed into just two dimensions. Where the phenomenon first encounters the foot of the "A", it appears the die afforded extra space in its cavity to accommodate the object. It seems that would require an extremely soft die. Or maybe my vision is translating a cavity in the "A" (the predictably softer metal) to present a lump protruding from the "A"?

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Edited by Kcm
05/01/2021 09:25 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
803 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
struck through a rim burr.

My 1st thought was some swarf got in on the strike, I don't think its a wire. Rim burr fits. Good call.

Nice pics Don. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Edited by loonielewy
05/01/2021 09:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was hoping is was a strike through. I see the foot of the A
Kcm as the area of interest as well, the rim burr or swarf* is
almost wrapped around the foot as it was trapped in the
strike. Thanks for the compliments on the photos, great
little Motorola. I hold the coin flip up to a light source
with the macro lens.

*Great scrabble word Loonie.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's strange to see "swarf". I always thought that it was a Brit made-up word. On the hydrofoil gunboat that we (the CG) got from the Navy, It had a Rolls-Royce turbine for main propulsion driving the prop on the stern. We had to pull it one day and the Rolls tech-rep was there to assist us. He looked it over after the cowlings were removed and he said. " There's the problem; swarf on the turbine blades" As a naval engineer I had never heard the word, so he gave me the definition. Swarf is something that's there, but not supposed to be there!!". I used the term for my next 20 years around engine rooms and shipyards. You are right ... swarf is a great word!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
803 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Swarf by my definition is the cuttings made by a tool in a machine shop. Drill swarf, lathe swarf and milling machine swarf. It comes in all shapes and sizes.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
846 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD and nothing more on this coin.
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  01:39 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi - I completely disagree, this is a strike-through error, likely a wire from the collar die shearing the reeding edge. There is no evidence of displaced metal. You see this error type far more frequently in US coins, and in fact, the only Canadian coins I have ever seen this strike-through type on, are silver dollars.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
803 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got it SPP, that is exactly what a piece of sheared swarf would look like struck into a coin. The wire mirage is from the high spots of the sheared reeds being a thicker section of the foreign material. Not a twist in a real wire. Goes like this...Top of reed gets sliced off more than the valley between the reeds, gives you a thick and thin burr, just as shown.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait for the next strike through error...so I can use the word swarf, if it would apply.

Covid was the word for 2020...lets make Swarf the word for 2021....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 730Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05