Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hunting Through Bank Rolls

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 179Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  11:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PNWHiker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
when yall are searching for errors and varieties, more specifically through bank rolls, do you inspect every coin or do you hunt for specific years? If so what website has a confirmed list I can use as a guide.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38842 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check every coin. Any year can have errors or varieties. You need to learn to recognize doubled dies, trail die, RPM's etc on all years and mint marked coins. http://www.error-ref.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New ones try the just look at certain years for certain coins. But I search each coin for everything. That way if I find something new, I'll live with that. Some will sort into 10 bowls. The last digit into each bowl. Then when they search the single bowls for decades, then they will look up the individual year to see what can be found. Going through each year/mint issue. Then they have a better idea as to what is going one, what is out there and know where to look for the fight year/mint will speed up the process. Then sort and put the ones to look at later in a stack for another look. Anything that you would not buy, don't waste time on them. Toss them back with out a second look. Keep in mind that the coins you are looking at have probably been check many times. So learn what to look for, what can happen on that year and go. Don't be looking for a doubled die, being distracted by looking at the edges of devices. It is a doubled die, it should almost make an announcement. Look at the centers of the devices and if the zinc coin is so worn, that the plating is showing gray in any area, toss it. Look for gems rather than what you want them to be. Another distraction. Damaged coins, toss them. If the coin is too low where it shouldn't be or raised where it should be, toss it. If the coin rim is bent. Toss it. Don't even give them a first look. Toss them. If you would buy that coin, then search it. But not every coin will be a keeper. Out of a roll, you will have at least 40 going back to work if they are circulated change. If they are BU rolls in a box, 5 rolls searching should tell you what the whole box has on them if they were all from the same run. After 5 rolls, take them back to the bank. (unless you are looking for the real mint error coin. Like an off center/stuck through a capped die or unplated planchets) but the chances are slim at most on the boxes. Either they will be chocked full or return to circulation examples. Hope this helps a bit.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best advice I've received (many years ago) start reading and learning before searching....You got to know what to look for or everything will look like a mint error to you....good luck
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Listen and learn everything Dr Coop teaches. Get books... Look at all coins obverse and reverse. Take notes, write things you need to remember down. These folks on this forum will get you taught. Happy hunting!!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 179Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05