Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Completely Worn UK Coins From The 1600 S And 1700 S Worth Anything?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 137Next Topic  
Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  9:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have inherited a coin collection that has a number of British half pennies from the late 1600s through 1800s. I've sorted and catalogued the coins I could but there are a number where they are so worn that the denomination and date are unreadable. Are these worth anything or are they just junk? It seems a shame that these coins from 300 years ago would just go to waste. Any help would be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8475 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  03:01 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the UK there are always a few starter collectors who will buy them. Look in any dealer's junk box and you'll find heavily worn, holed and damaged Georgian halfpennies, and maybe one or two from William III. I could go to my LCS and pick them up for about 25 pence each. I don't think a dealer would but such coins unless they came as part of a larger collection.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
599 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with NumisRob. Besides the demand from newbie collectors, some early coppers can be worth money even if all you can read is the date. Some dates are so scarce that there is demand for even the poorest coins.
Also, when you say "late 1600s" some of these dates are in Tin only, which can give them good value in any condition. Look out for a small copper plug through the middle of a grey/white metal flan.
If in doubt, post some pictures.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to see some of these coins, I mean how worn is worn - pale details or just flat penny shaped discs.

Some detail on pre 1730 coins does have some value, however 1797 onwards that are completely flat or date only are basically copper value only which is about 3p per halfpenny and 5 - 6 per penny dependent on era.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18418 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are identifiable for type, they have should have at least some numismatic value.
None of them are waste but if just flat disks, not much above metal value.

The volume of issue of British coins in the 160's and 1700's was never enough to meet Public demand, and those in circulation saw lots of wear, almost to the point of just being copper or silver disks.
Thus, official British coins of these two centuries are normally encountered in poor to VG condition.
Lower weight private tokens were issued to fill the gap in demand.

With some British coins, there is no statement of denomination on the coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 137Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05