Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 P Dime - Not Sure What Is Going On Here.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 585Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
71 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thank you, thank you for all you expertise!

Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly are you wondering about?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fill us in on what you are seeing
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the obverse - clashing? I think that is what it is called.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39373 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photo is a bit too pixelated, but I see no clash.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58066 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty normal so far.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5966 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, nothing unusual, normal looking dime. Keep searching!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2964 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Here's an overlay of the 2017-P Dime. It shows approximately where you could expect to find clash marks. When dies clash, they may not line up exactly, so slight movement can cause the clash marks to show up as misaligned on the resulting coins.

Click on the picture for a larger image
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51566 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind the clashes have on the fields, near where the outlines of the opposite die would make contact. On the outline oh the bust you could see the lines of the reverse dies, devices. On the reverse, the same for the obverse die. Only on the fields. On a die, the fields are the outside of the die. The highest points on the coin, ore deeper into the die. So the outlines oh the fields on the bust/reverse design are the only contact points. I see no evidence of this on your coin. Where are you seeing an issue with your coin? Taking another look at your coin, are you talking about the hit next to the eye? If so that would be coin transfer damage to the coin, possibly while in the roll, it it was dropped, it could make that type of mark on that area of the coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/16/2021 12:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2964 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  03:02 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only on the heaviest clashed dies will you see device design elements in the opposite die's devices.

The dime below has almost a full outline of half of the torch flame inside the bust of Roosevelt, elements of the oak leaves under his ear, the olive branch on his nose and elements of the bust in the flame on the reverse. While it's hard to show all of the clash in a single image, different lighting angles show other deep clash marks, including parts on the date on the reverse.

It's a wonder that the dies flexed enough to clash this deep into the opposite die, but didn't crack or shatter.

This is the strongest clashed dime I've ever owned or seen.
Click on the picture for a larger image
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How cool is that dime die clash!!! Thanks for the time and the lessons. Takes a lot of effort to readily spot these details. I will keep working at it!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51566 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is why we post overlays a lot so others can see what is happening to the dies, during a clash.

Quote:
Not Sure What Is Going On Here.

I appreciate you comment. Often times new ones will come in here and brag or challenge the members here. You will get more comments when you start of with that comment. Those who don't, I don't respond to their posts. A humble attitude is always better to make good friends with. When we respond kindly, you have a better relationship with your coins bothers and sisters. Thank you for that comment.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/20/2021 09:24 am
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1985 dime clash is amazing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But........ this was about the OP's 2017 dime that really show's nothing more than a scratch on the obverse.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But...... Then another coin turned up and I like it so much I had to comment on it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2964 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't mean disrupt the thread! I just want to show how strong a clash could get.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05