Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Coin Quick ID Guide

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
53 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys

If you are also a fan of combing through massive piles of world coins, and get a headache trying to remember some of the obscure words on coins that don't even sound like a country, then here is a quick free PDF guide that I like to use as my cheat sheet.

http://feralkittee.com/wp-content/u...CK-GUIDE.pdf

Cruel country coin ID list...

Finland = Tasvalta
Austria = Osterreich
Hungary = Magyar Koztatsasag
Switzerland = Helvetia
Ireland = Eire

What countries do you find the most confusing by coin ID?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18532 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have been collecting World coins for decades, you get to learn all of each country's alternative names, where they are lodged in your easy recall memory, including states that no longer exist.

On line NGC World Coin Values can be of great assistance, if you are still learning.
Learn More...
United States
19525 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drowning, another great resource is the phone app called "Coinoscope". I have no affiliation with this whoever makes this, but find it very helpful as a first-pass filter on identifying world coins, especially those from the 20th and 21st Centuries.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Australia
53 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tips. I've been using NGC and mainly use Coinoscope for coins that are written in Thai or Arabic :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1348 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
another great resource is the phone app called "Coinoscope". I have no affiliation with this whoever makes this, but find it very helpful as a first-pass filter on identifying world coins, especially those from the 20th and 21st Centuries

I agree. And I know a guy who helped make it. The creator lives in Europe. My friend lives out here in the US. The creator is always updating and adding coins.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05