Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading On This 1947 Pointed 7 Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 506Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  1:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CityofKooks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

Please help me grade my coin. I would give it MS but not sure how high or low. The fields look good, and I have seen so many ms63 and more coins from ICCS with scratch/ding marks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures in a 2x2 are always a little tough to judge. No higher than a 62 I'd say, but without better pictures hard to be certain at all.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, please remove it from the plastic and try again.
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CityofKooks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good point about the 2x2...

ok below are some pics of the coin with no 2x2

thanks

Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better! Those 2x2's softened up the pictures a little, especially the reverse.

I'm going to go with 61-62, probably 61.

It's always a bit of a crap shoot trying to figure out if a coin has been cleaned or not if you don't see obvious marks of it, but that coin appears to have some polish in areas where it likely shouldn't so I'm thinking there is at least a chance it could go UNC details instead. Having the coin in hand you would likely be able to tell that better than us though.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry to say, but IMO not higher than EF 45
IMO there is too much damage on rev to get a 50
Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sorry to say, but IMO not higher than EF 45
IMO there is too much damage on rev to get a 50

Do you see wear? I don't see any on the high points. it can have considerable bag marks all over the coin and still be MS60. Generally an AU58 coin will look way nicer than MS60. Not sure what puts it down to EF. Business strike dollars aren't my forte though for sure.
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CityofKooks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks much gents,

its definitely not EF or AU. After inspecting so many ICCS coins and years of being a collector myself, I can comfortably say its an MS. No wear really...those marks are seen even with MS63 designations.

I don't see any cleaning marks at all, and it doesn't have the shine of a polished coin but that can sometimes slip the eye.

thanks again friends

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2349 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it makes an MS (which I doubt) it would be just an ms60.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1738 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the reverse has to much going on to be a MS I'd go with EF-AU for this one
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all due respect, but please see the images below.
If you grade the OP's coin MS and better, then something is very odd with ICCS grading of my coin or, the op's coin.
Maybe I am totally out to lunch here as I am probably the lousiest grader anywhere.
just observing...
OP, your image is not round and I simply assume that the coin is perfectly round?

Edited by 47P7
05/17/2021 2:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1222 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on images really tough to tell with this one. Something looks funny, but could be light. It is probably one you need to see in hand.

Something looks off on reverse, but can't put finger on it.

I'm EF if ICCS net grade because cleaned/damage (unsure)

Probably AU 53, maybe MS 60, but scratches on face would likely keep it down. If just bag marks, maybe a 62.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not less than AU-58, imho.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
738 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF if hasn't been cleaned and/or polished.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If this coin were mine, it would go straight to ICCS to make sure once and for all and to know what I have. Not sure, but Brian might have a surprising opinion.
Or, as a barely acceptable alternative, I would take top-notch images or scans in High resolution and let Mike Marshall have a look at the enlarged images.
I studied it and compared it for some time, both sides, with other 47P7's I have. And I enlarged it, and I have my own thoughts about it.

Cityofkooks
did you weigh the coin?
and where/how did you acquire it?
Edited by 47P7
05/21/2021 4:25 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05