Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 CC . Maybe . Morgan #278 . Opinions Please - New Picture

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 805Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I took your 4th and 6th photos and matched the size and position of the bow and wreath exactly. It's pretty obvious to me that those bumps are too high and too small to be part of a CC mintmark.

Well I'm certainly not trying to disagree with you stubbornly just because I want this to be a CC (though I do). But I am trying to see why it could look a certain way to you (too high and too small), while I'm looking for reasons why it may look that way. When I look at the larger pictures with the bow ...... the 5th picture mine, and the 6th picture a comparison CC, the circle in the bow, the space between the ribbon of the bow and the wreath lower left has dramatically shrunk, and the same on the right side has nearly disappeared. So metal is moving and wearing and spaces are shrinking. If all those areas appear to be getting closer together, I must assume that the what's left of the CC's and the space between the cavity and them would also appear to shrink. Anyway, that's my take, and I should mention that I am probably wrong, but still hopeful. I just don't want to foolishly spend $50 for a PCGS look especially since I only paid $30 for the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3249 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 5th photo is magnified to twice the size of your 6th photo, so they're not directly comparable. I don't see any evidence of a CC, but that's just my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10361 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also seeing an 'S'
Pillar of the Community
United States
3074 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see any convincing evidence of a CC, but if you are convinced it is a CC, send it in for grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not see any convincing evidence of a CC, but if you are convinced it is a CC, send it in for grading.

No, I'm not convinced, only wishing that what I see is so. Seems like the consensus here is all over the place, but nobody seems to lean CC. Well I asked for CCF opinions, and I got them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing a CC. I don't think it will get a MM designated if sent
in to a TPG. IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save the $50 send it to ANACS then, JP Martin and John Roberts are their authenticators and maybe even better than anyone at PCGS or NGC on Morgan dollar identifications. You could always then send it to PCGS if you think it needs to be in that holder, but the call from two of the best in business should hold some sway.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3249 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if the date is readable, there's a good possibility that PCGS would call this genuine, not gradable, if they can't determine with certainty whether there is a mintmark.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3074 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a possibility that the red circle stain on obverse could details the coin. The big value comes in getting a straight grade PO1 for the registry set low ball collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the way I see it, either PCGS graders are clairvoyant or they're using tools way beyond anything we have. Like maybe electron microscopes. Here's a 21 D they graded PO01. This coin is in their low-ball registry and it make mine look relatively MS. The reverse is nearly flat, almost hard to see it was even a Morgan, and yet somehow they called it a D. Go ahead and enlarge the image, brighten it up .............. how on earth did they ever see a a D on that coin? That gives me hope that is mine is a CC,, they just might see it.

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
05/15/2021 5:52 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 805Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05