Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996-D With Doubling On The S In Trust?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a penny that made go HMMMM. I am looking for opinions. Is this another case of Mechanical Doubling or something worth keep? It does look different from the Mechanical Doubling I have seen before but I don't see evidence of doubling elsewhere.

Thanks in Advance!
Eric

Edited by Ericwats
05/15/2021 11:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is Machine Doubling. No hub doubling on the die. When you determine the direction the MD, you can look at other devices and you will see the same thing going on them as well often in the same direction:

Sometimes in two different directions:

Machine Doubling doesn't have any rules, it does what it does.

CoopHome: Machine doubling in just one direction? The answer might surprise you
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop for the quick reply. I will find a good one yet ;^)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked to see what to look for on the DDOs for that year:
Obverse:
Plain:
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...O%201996.htm
Denver:
None
Reverse:
Plain:
None
Denver:
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...201996-D.htm
So knowing what to look for will help train your eye as to what areas to look at. The date area on the obverse of one mints dies were showing a DDO. I'm not saying that you should not look at the devices. But look at the centers of the devices, and forget looking at the outside edges of the devices. (That is where Machine Doubling is)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
4325 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, at the risk of piling on, Machine Doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39414 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being it is only on the one letter, could it be a die polishing issue?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you checked to see what to look for on the DDOs for that year:

I have been sorting my coins by date and mint mark. When I get over 300 of a particular date I look at that date looking for gross issues first. (CUDs, obvious cracked dies, Die Doubling visible with naked eye .....)

I have been using Variety Vista as a primary information source and when nothing is there going to Wexlers listings as a back up. Between the 2 I get a fairly good idea of where on each year and mint there are potential issues to look for.

I am still trying to figure out an efficient method to work through rolls of coins.

e
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On way is to get 10 bowls. Number the side of each with a number 1-0. then sort each bowl with the last digit, regard less of the first three or mintmark. "IE" 1959-1969-1979-1989-1999-2009-2019. Thus when you have put all the coins into the bowl, then make a sheet to put the with enough space to put two rows. Then sort that bowl onto the sheet. That sorts out the year, date and mintmarks.
195-plain
195-D
196-PLAIN
196-D
196-S
200-PLAIN
200-D
201-PLAIN
201-P
201-D
202-PLAIN
202-D
Then you can look up the information on V.V or Coppercoins for information on that year/mint on cents.

Try printing this out to see it is will work. Is large enough? That is what we used to use when we would do an inventory of cents for coppercoins to get an inventory of I think 5,000 cents. (Each volunteer)
Richard S. Cooper

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hallor Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well that burst one of my bubbles. I've got three pennies that has the doubling at Lincoln's nose like the picture above. Kind of thought I had something. Its just like the Machine Doubling example, so back to to the hunt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only think if one DDO that has doubling on the nose.

Yep, the big one:

Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05