Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On Buying Unc Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 432Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
450 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to have an example of an UNC large cent. My budget is $300-$450 or so. In that range, I guess I'm looking at common date Braided Hairs. I would like a BN 63-64. I know surfaces are a real issue with these. Since almost all of my buying has been online, I'd want a slabbed coin. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1852 or 1853 would be your best bet. Pick which one looks right to you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58111 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go through Heritage's data base and look at close-ups of as many MS-graded Braided Hair cents as you can before pulling the trigger.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8032 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you raise up your price by about 100-200 you can get into very nice Red Brown MS64 slabbed examples. In your current range a super nice brown example shouldn't be an issue, and if you take the time and hunt around a nice RB example is quite possible, however they are getting tougher to find all the time. Be careful of artificially toned coins and tooled, counterfeits, there are more and more of those around than ever today.

Look at some of the EAC guys like Chris McCawley of earlycents.com as well as Jack Beymer, Tom Deck largecents.net I'd stay away from most non EAC sellers on eBay, of course Great Collections, Heritage, Goldberg's, and Stack's/Bowers may be great places, you will have additional costs in fees, shipping, etc. There are a few other dealers that work with fairly small inventories but only have choice material with original surfaces they are harder to find, but they are out there, I refrain from mentioning them here so as to be a bit selfish and not let too many potential competitors know my secret sources.

Limiting to slabbed coins is probably a good idea as well, I would waive that under certain circumstances with some dealers that are beyond reproach like those mentioned above.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/17/2021 4:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3926 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are quite a few in TPG holders on Ebay. Your budget seems reasonable. David Lawrence has a couple MS-64 BN listed for $450 on his website, but you can make an offer and perhaps get them for around $400 or so - he is a reputable dealer that I've bought quite a few coins from before.
Edited by jimbucks
05/17/2021 6:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8032 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
but always contact them off eBay, the cost to sell on there is approaching 12% or more, and that is added into the price, most dealers have the same coins listed on their websites for substantially less. No need to pay more than you should.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great recommendations on source- now I have to choose! This is the fun (or frustrating) part! Thanks
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this on in my grade range. However, the price listing is more than double the list price ($313) according to Numismedia. I understand eye appeal, but a price like that seems really high. Is this a type of unusual variety?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1851-N-5-R...282590798640
Pillar of the Community
United States
8032 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's Chris McCawley's company, he is a goto guy when it comes to EAC coinage. He runs the EAC Auction most every year as well.

Sent you an e-mail too.

Edited by westcoin
05/19/2021 11:58 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05