Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1827 Capped Bust Half Dollar O-124a For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 446Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  3:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I cherrypicked this one, o-124a is R5+ and I grade it XF40, maybe details due to that old staple scratch, it really stinks but it's not as distracting as it may seem.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF-45.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with XF-45, probably straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll net it down to XF40 due to the scratch. Fortunately the dark fields hide it a bit. I like it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice half but I agree with XF40 for said scratch and rim ding at star 8
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Xf-40 too.
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go XF Details - Scratched

Though pretty easy to ignore, especially with the deep color, it's a pretty lengthy scratch. I don't think it would be reasonable to pass it off as 'problem free'
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one tough call. Opinions seem about evenly divided.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with XF details. The scratch is just too long.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 details
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I'm torn between a straight and details grade. I know the grading services are more lenient on a coin the older/more rare it is, and the scratch itself isn't as distracting, blends in with the surfaces, and also doesn't go over the bust. I've certainly seen some leeway given by TPG's and I think this one is 50/50.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1830 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I can tell you this. Extremely honest coin. Nice and crusty. I would have painfully passed on it because of the scratch. That's a bit more of a staple scratch.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2138 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! This one is scarce as hen's teeth over VF. I can't remember the last 124a I saw that wasn't detailed. I think this one, too, will be detailed. A couple of the coins I have seen detailed had smaller scratches, but on the devices, rather than the fields. Add me to the EF Details parade.

Nice cherry pick, and solid eye appeal for the grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 446Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05