Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Classic US Commemorative Coins With A Hat

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 621Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7769 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  5:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's another Index to a set of posts I've made about classic era US commemorative coins over in the "Post Your..." forum area (Post Your... Gallery). This time out - coins that fit the topic or theme of "Coins with Hats."

Roughly half of the silver and gold classic US commemorative coins include one or more hats within their designs. To make it on to the "With Hat" list, a coin needed to feature either a crown, a commonly-worn hat (for its time), a Liberty cap, a ceremonial headdress or helmet. Many, but not all, of the links below connect to brief posts about the coin in question - "quick hitters" - others have a bit of meat to them. Enjoy! (Let me know if I missed any that should be on the list!)

1. 1893 Isabella Quarter
2. 1900 Lafayette Dollar
3. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Half Dollar + Gold $1.00
4. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Gold $2.50
5. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Gold $50
6. 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial
7. 1920-21 Pilgrim 300th Anniversary
8. 1921 Missouri Statehood Centennial
9. 1924 Huguenot-Walloon - 300th Anniversary of Settling of New York City
10. 1925 California Statehood 75th Anniversary
11. 1925 Lexington-Concord 150th Anniversary
12. 1925 Norse-American Centennial (Gold Version)
13. 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial
14. 1925 Ft. Vancouver Centennial
15. 1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial
16. 1926 American Independence Sesquicentennial, Gold $2.50
17. 1928 Hawaiian Discovery 150th Anniversary
18. 1934-39 Daniel Boone Bicentennial
19. 1934-38 Texas Independence Centennial
20. 1935-36 Panama-California International Exposition ("San Diego")
21. 1935-38 Arkansas Statehood Centennial
22. 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial
23. 1936 Battle of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary
24. 1936 Rhode Island 300th Anniversary
25. 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial
26. 1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary
27. 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary

Here's a pair of late-breaking additions:

28. 1934 Maryland Tercentenary
29. 1936 Norfolk Tercentennial/Bicentennial

As I've stated in my previous Index posts, there is quite a nice array of world coins on display in the target thread - this time with a wide variety of headgear presented - so scrolling around a bit after you check out one or more of my classic US commemorative coin posts is highly encouraged - you might find a new collecting interest!

Edited to add #s 28 and 29, two coins previously omitted.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/20/2021 4:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun listing Commems - and great links to your informative threads. Many thanks for sharing.

By your criteria I argue that the 1936 Norfolk (VA) Bicentennial could be included. The Royal Mace shown on this coins reverse is topped by a British Crown, which I believe is the only appearance of the British Crown in USA coinage history.

Granted it's not being worn by a person, but it is a crown.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7769 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By your criteria I argue that the 1936 Norfolk (VA) Bicentennial could be included. The Royal Mace shown on this coins reverse is topped by a British Crown, which I believe is the only appearance of the British Crown in USA coinage history.

Granted it's not being worn by a person, but it is a crown.

Absolutely! I was focused on "hats on a head" so overlooked the Norfolk and Maryland half dollars, both of which include the British Crown within their designs. Thanks for the catch!

I've put together a post about the Norfolk in the Hats Thread - I'll follow it with one for the Maryland. Update: Posts for each now available.

Here's the Norfolk link:

- 1936 Norfolk Tercentennial/Bicentennial

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/20/2021 7:10 pm
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8508 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool. I have a soft spot for the '25 California Statehood piece.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 621Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: