Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Detection: 1809 Classic Head Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 919Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  1:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - This fake has problems with both its weight and its composition.

The US Mint issued the Classic Head Cent series from 1808 to 1814. Generally, these coins can sell for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Lower-quality copper was used to create the blanks, so many were not in great shape to start with. Over two centuries later, most examples available to collectors have either lower numeric grades or Details grades.

Genuine 1809 Cent.

For the 1809 Cent, NGC has certified about 125 examples with a Details grade in addition to numerically grading about 80 examples with two-thirds of these NGC VF 35 or lower. Strong demand for coins generally found in modest conditions can give counterfeiters an opportunity. NGC recently encountered an 1809 Cent forgery.

Counterfeit 1809 Cent.

One of the first steps in authenticating a coin is to weigh it. In this case, the counterfeit is 12.72 grams, far above the expected 10.9 grams. A metallurgical analysis of the coin reveals why: It is roughly half lead, a much denser metal than the copper that it should be made of. Additionally, when lightly tapped with the side of a pen, a normal struck coin will ring, whereas an electrotype will not.

Closeup views of counterfeit 1809 Cent.

The surfaces of the counterfeit are oddly textured and the coin lacks the normal die flow lines seen on a coin struck from a die. But the real nail in the coffin for this piece is the lead peeking out from beneath a thin copper shell in a few places. This can be seen at the top of the obverse as well as on the edge of the coin.

This type of fake is called an electrotype. It is created by pressing a genuine piece into a soft material to create a negative impression. That impression is then electroplated. The process is repeated for the other side of the coin. Those two halves are then joined together and filled with metal for weight. Electrotypes can be very difficult to spot, although sometimes there is a seam running along the edge of the coin where the sides were joined together.

Read More: Counterfeit Detection Series

Check out 1809 Large Cents on ebay.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.
I always enjoy these posts and am always disturbed by the quality of the fakes.
Not this one.
Its obvious to me.

On the genuine coin posted, is that an over date or something ?
I'm referencing the circle in the top portion of the second 9.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64173 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most informative thread for sure, thanks.
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent explanation, thanks for the information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2706 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17599 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the genuine coin posted, is that an over date or something ?
I'm referencing the circle in the top portion of the second 9.

It isn't an overdate, it is a 9/9 with the first 9 coming from a smaller punch set, possibly for use on a half eagle.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1604 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a vey informative post. Thank you.

Talking about counterfeit 1809 cents, I came across this example this morning.
I hope it is OK to post the link to the Ebay auction which ended yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393523762229

This is the first 1809 Classic Head I see with a reeded edge...
Beyond that, neither obverse nor reverse dies match. The digits in the date look comical, and the reverse is certainly not a match for the genuine 1809 reverse.
For example the placement of the leaves in the wreath relative to the edge legend.
I feel sorry for the person who spent almost $500 on this.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
482 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great theme, thank you.

Quote:
Talking about counterfeit 1809 cents, I came across this example this morning
I don't see anything unusual, except for a suspicious wreath. Another number 1 does not look very good. But I suspect that you are right about the authenticity assessment
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17599 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh he is right, it is a fake. All 1809 cents come from the same rev die and on that die the point of leaf under S2 is under the center of the S. On the ebay coin it is close the the right edge of the S. Another feature is the rev die is always cracked from the E in STATES to the leaf below the S and on past to the next outer leaf. No other classic head reverse has that crack and it is visible even on low grade coins.

Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/31/2021 09:29 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 919Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: