Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sub Forum For All These ID Posts Would Be Nice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 990Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  10:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does this board support sub forums?

Sure would be nice for all of these "Please identify this huge list of cull quality/outright fake coins of mine".

Not sure when this trend started but seems like lately I have to scroll through many pages of them just to read a few interesting posts.

Sorry....rant over.
Learn More...
United States
23587 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if I start a sub forum they will still all wind up in the main forum. We already have one for fake coins that never seems to get used.

There are a lot of new collectors on the board that are excited about their new late Roman coin. Most of what I've seen lately are so far gone that identification is iffy at best. Until these new collectors gain experience and find out that they can buy coins in much better condition for very little money. We will keep seeing these less than perfect coins.

I have no problem helping, but there does come a time when the only thing that is being posted is to ID their coins. With all the information available on the web and even on our forum, especially in the Books, downloads, and website and Fake coin sticky section. Which appears to go unchecked, they could start to ID their coins on their own.

Their have also been from time to time those that use our forum and post coins that are fake, just to see if they will pass our inspection. If it does than they go on the market. We usually catch on to them in a short time and they are removed from the board.

I know it can be frustrating, but we are a community that prides ourselves on helping our fellow collectors, so we need to have a little patience.
Valued Member
Georgia
117 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamVimes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of those newbies applying for your help from time to time. I do apologize, if my posts are annoying and/or boring, but rest assured that I do all that I can to id coins on my own through sources available to me and only once I'm truly stuck - I come here. And huge thanks to everyone, who has been patient and kind and helped me in identifying the coins.
Learn More...
United States
20071 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
we are a community that prides ourselves on helping our fellow collectors

Well stated Ron!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5943 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As rants go, that was pretty tepid, MartiVltori. I can understand your feelings but I hope everyone continues to feel welcome to post whatever ancient-coin-related issues/questions they want.

I think that, even if there is a solid rationale for creating subforums, there isn't really the amount of traffic here for them to work well. That leaves us with a catch-all forum, of course. Some will like that, some won't. But these things (topic themes) seem to be cyclical, in any event. There are periods where a lot of people, including enthusiastic newbies, need ID'ing and authentication done (we are happy to help, as possible), other periods where show-and-tell and research-based posts seem to take the lead. There used to be some games added in too - I think I joined CCF, years ago, in the midst of a two-hundred-plus-page-long "Guess the Emperor Revised" thread - that was a lot of fun. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Can you please tell me if it's real?
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the well thought out replies.

Honestly, not a huge issue. Occasionally an extremely interesting piece comes up in an ID thread also.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Cyprus
241 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On every coin there are two sides.
Marti is right from his point of view.
But on the other hand this forum helped me learn a lot and after some months of using the forum I manage to ID many of my ancient greek coins without asking help and I only post when I can't find a coin after searching a lot or I am not sure.
I also want to thank all the guys who are helping me from time to time and especially Bob, with his amazing knowledge and good will, helped me improve my ID skills.
Sadly english are not my first language and no matter I have a lot of knowledge in greek mythology is not easy for me to start topics.
In the meanwhile I am collecting info for Nymphs and Amazons (including coinage) but everything is in greek.
This forum is very healthy and I feel lucky to be a part of it and I want to thank you all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 990Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05