Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do They Slab Coins Sideways?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 879Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SearchHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was a little disappointed when I saw this comeback slabbed sideways! Any reasonable explanation? FYI: All of the other 10 slabs were as they should be.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just very sloppy work. Call them and they'll arrange to get it re-holdered.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3425 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Call them and they'll arrange to get it re-holdered.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance it could have rotated in the holder after the fact?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9812 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try tapping on the bottom right corner and see if you can get the coin to rotate.
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any chance it could have rotated in the holder after the fact?

Quote:
Try tapping on the bottom right corner and see if you can get the coin to rotate.

I had an Ike come to me rotated a few degrees. I got him back into place by holding the slab perpendicular to the floor and doing an underhand softball pitch. The rotational inertia allowed Ike to spin a little bit at a time.

Oh, to be sure, I did not release Ike with the "pitch."

I got the idea from this video. I did not like the idea of having the slab hit anything, so I opted for the "hard stop" of my pitching motion. Since Ike was not too far out of spec (just enough for an OCD trigger) it did not take too many "pitches" to correct.

yR_sQ8q9IBs
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Hey Junior - where'd all these dents in my antique dining room table come from?"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
must have been packaged by the same newbies who post coin photos here
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You won't get an ANACS coin to rotate with that rubbery interior. Email customer service. Or call. They will fix it. And probably compensate you with two or three free gradings for your hassle.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You won't get an ANACS coin to rotate with that rubbery interior.

I'd have to disagree. I've received a few back from them rotated. You can get them to rotate back with the method jbuck posted above, just takes a few minutes. It's not that ANACS slapped it in there sloppily, though people are quick to blame the TPG, movement from shipping is the culprit.

Quote:
Or call. They will fix it. And probably compensate you with two or three free gradings for your hassle.

This is very true. ANACS has great customer service (the best of the "top 3" IMO) in my experience, I'm sure they'd have so problem with you sending it back and taking care of it for you, if you can't realign it yourself.
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the mint's Special Mint Sets of the mid-60s have a similar rotation problem, and since SMS coins are a bit loose it can be fixed via the technique described above
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got the idea from this video. I did not like the idea of having the slab hit anything, so I opted for the "hard stop" of my pitching motion.

That video made me a bit nervous! I wonder if that fellow has cracked any slabs using that method... I generally just hold the slab at the top, hit a bottom corner of the slab against the palm of my other hand and, especially for older holders, that is often enough to gradually rotate the coin back in place.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2112 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I laughed when I saw your topic. It brought back an inside joke with my wife. Several years ago, I had a couple come back that way, and made almost the same comment about sideways slabbing to my wife. She very calmly kissed me on the head and whispered "That's so you can fall asleep staring into their eyes, dear." We still laugh about her answer. Thanks for today's smile!

BTW, I agree with the upthread suggestions. If gentle tapping or shaking doesn't do the trick, ANACS is really good about making things right.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd have to disagree. I've received a few back from them rotated. You can get them to rotate back with the method jbuck posted above, just takes a few minutes.

All right, I stand corrected. No problem admitting when I am wrong. If I get another back from them like that I may try fixing it myself.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 879Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05