Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Does The Wear On A Worn Well Coin Go?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 821Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If I lived to a 100 and I carried the coin in my photo in my pocket from an uncirculated condition for 80 some or so years rubbing it incessantly, could I rub a hole completely through it?

Where would the silver go? My pocket or did I absorb it in my fingers and thumb and have now died from silver poisoning?

I know this is probably a question only an insane type sort might ask, or is it, I am from Canada after all.

Have a happy no snow saturday

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40137 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you continually rubbed the coin, at some point in time it would wear a hole through it. When will that happen, don't know. The metal would be in/on your skin and if the coin was a pocket piece the metal would be in your pocket to some degree. I would not worry about being poisoning by the silver, people take colloidal silver internally as an antibiotic.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would not worry about being poisoning by the silver

Lol, I ain't. Zinc on the other hand, or copper! Gack! Could probably wear down the Zincolns to nothingness in a couple of months I would imagine... going through several 1000 in a lifetime!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know this is probably a question only an insane type sort might ask, or is it, I am from Canada after all.

A good friend and CCF member Happens to live in Canada and I'm positive he would never ask such a lame question like that , however any member can ask almost any question that they feel is of importance to them . The silver may disappear and it might make a male that held it for 80 years , Sterile .
No not really .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59470 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best not to walk around with one hand busy in your pocket for any length of time.
Learn More...
United States
34284 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think a hole would develop. The outside edges would wear down first. The coin would eventually get so thin that it bent.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59470 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That says it well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Best not to walk around with one hand busy in your pocket for any length of time.

In Memory of Butch L.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4902 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You cannot rub it incessantly.
You must sleep, eat, relieve yourself, etc., or you won't live to 100.

But for lots of other reasons (among them the fact that human flesh does is not very efficient as an instrument of abrasion on metal), the answer to question 1 is no. I doubt you would be below AU when you croak.

Question 2: The abraded particles probably wind up in landfills or the bottom of bodies of water. For example, if they lodge in your clothing, they get washed out then run down the sewer. Same process if they wind up on your fingers (unless you never wash).
Edited by tdziemia
05/29/2021 12:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9828 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you washed your pants in 100 years. The same microscopic silver dust is on all coins whether carried by you all the time or everyone else and went from one pocket to the next. Your quarter gets worn no matter who all carried it. Not to worry. Eventually a coin will wear so thin it would theoretically disappear I suppose.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
05/29/2021 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It goes into the ocean along with all the plastic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It goes into the ocean along with all the plastic.

Great , I'll find a way to recover all that silver from the oceans then sell it to the U.S. mint so they can continue making 2021 Morgan's and Peace dollars .

In Memory of Butch L.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20287 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The metal as with anything goes into a additional dimension than ours. There are additional dimensions created constantly every time something is done in ours. It is sort of like when you drop something and it sort of just vanishes. It went into one of those other dimensions. This is why you now find something when you look for what was dropped and something else has replaced it. Then sometime in the future your original lost item reappears. That now missing Silver, or other coin metals, simply went to that other dimension so it will then someday reappear but somewhere else such as a Silver mine.
If you followed this and are considering it as fact, you may need help.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am rather certain that, if you a rub quarter for one minute every day, after 100 years or so you will be unable to father children.

Edited by fplagge
05/29/2021 5:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15613 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread has turned into a circus .

In Memory of Butch L.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 821Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05