Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1845 Braided Hair Large Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,231Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won this coin in an auction. It is an 1845 Braided Hair Cent, with double date on all of the numbers. I think it might grade XF/AU. But I would appreciate y'all opinion. Would it be worth sending to be slabbed.

Does anyone have a site for the double date? I have tried various error and variety sites with no luck.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61567 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm closer to VF-30/35.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5640 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a significant and legitimate repunched date. Hopefully CCF copper experts will ID the specific variety.
Also looks like heavy Machine Doubling on the reverse which is not a variety but still interesting. Gradewise it seems just shy of XF. Looks like there are abrasions at the bottom of Liberty's neck but those seem fairly minor.
Cool coin, thanks for sharing!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17517 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very difficult to do attributions without very sharp large images but I think it is an early stage of N-4. I see several features from the N-4 die pairing, but I am also seeing features that should clearly be listed as die features but which aren't listed anywhere. (Caveat, I am using Grellman's second edition. There may be things listed in the third or fourth editions that I don't know about.) Most notably the clear repunching of the 1 above the left foot and the doubled point 4 on star 2. Those two features aren't listed anywhere in the second edition for any variety. But otehr features of N-4 re present so I think it may be a very early die stage.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2702 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could not find any die variety that had doubling like this coin appears to have. N-4 is a good possibility but only lists doubling under top part of 5. I think I would send it to Grellman to attribute it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will get better pics as soon as I can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I am extremely mad at the auction company (Lark Mountain Auction Company) I received the coin in the mail and it appears to be a different coin. Here are side by side pics of the coin from the auction site and the one I received. You tell me if it is the same one.

If you look at the rim there are dings on the one pictured in the auctions photos, but not on the I received. Also it appears there is doubling of the date and some lettering of the auction coin but not of the one I received. HUMMMM

Edited by moose59
06/10/2021 4:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, coin does look different.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12006 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the same.
The one you received looks counterfeit.
Check the date.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61567 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the fine arced scratch behind the neck - it's the same coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12006 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are both the same, then the lighting on the OP"s picture must be playing tricks because the dates look different.
Perhaps a better picture would help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would return it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coinfrog with all the dings on the rim of the one in the auction and none on the one I received how can you say it is the same coin. The one I received is smooth as a baby's bottom, no ding's on the reverse rim.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17517 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't be sure, need better images of the in hand coin
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61567 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the small images are of the coin you received? If so, I apologize. they are clearly not the same coin.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin frog, I am seeing scratches that look the same on both images, too. Other parts do look very off, but the scratches behind the neck look the same as does the one at the tip of her nose. You have to really zoom in to see it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05