Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Wading Through A Hoard Of US And World Coins That Began About 1905!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,722Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  11:50 pm Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A dear friend asked me to advise her on how to deal with and/or dispose of a huge accumulation of coins she inherited from her older brother, who died 25-30 years ago. This accumulation was begun back about 1905 by their grandfather (when he was about 10 years old) and continued by their father and her brother well into the mid-1970's. All three generations grew up in comfortable circumstances in New England.

The three boxes I received yesterday weigh about 80 pounds in total and their contents cover all types of US and world material. So far, I've come across lots of Seated Liberty and Barber issues, plus plenty of Morgans, Walkers, and Standing Liberty. The oldest piece I've seen so far is an 1814 Capped Bust half dollar, but I haven't delved into the copper yet and nor have I tripped over any gold.

Representing the middle generation was my friend's dad, who served in WWII and traveled quite extensively during his postwar career, so that's where most of the world coins came from. It appears his son, who was born in the early 1940's focused on commemorative halves plus official products like proof and mint sets.

It's quite a mix! All three of these gentlemen started acquiring coins as young boys and, while they may have been sidetracked from time to time by other interests and obligations, they continued building upon what they'd inherited until they passed away.

You may have noticed I haven't used any form of the word "collect" in describing the task that lies ahead for me.
Here's why, and aside from the two sturdy leather sacks I haven't opened yet and those mint and proof sets, this is typical of the storage methods used for all that poundage!

Wish me luck!

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3065 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fun task.
I know one way to dispose of it all, send it to me.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know one way to dispose of it all, send it to me.

Steve, I'm afraid I'd have to melt all the silver to cover the postage on just the copper!

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3065 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Steve, I'm afraid I'd have to melt all the silver to cover the postage on just the copper!

Yes, postage can be a killer. :)

Anyway, have fun.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18740 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep a reasonably recent Red Book handy.

That Old Spice is would have been deadly on my freshly shaven face! Sting unbearable. Some given to me as a present - used only once. Afraid to use any aftershave since.
Would still be good for coin tube storage for coins valued at less than $5 or so. but for me - not aftershave!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40128 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like your in for a fun time. I am surprised that those containers are coin safe. I know no one asked, but I hate both of those brands of products.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4813 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to have an opportunity to wade through a similar hoard. Have fun!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15611 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a hoard that we all dream of going through .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59457 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're all envious!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9839 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the edge of my seat...Keep us posted on what you find...
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
102132 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5567 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If these coins were pulled from pocket change starting in 1905 there could be some high-grade pieces. Be very careful when sorting the coins to avoid fingerprints and abrasions. Don't clean any of them!
Looking forward to seeing what you have.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40128 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget about errors and varieties also.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15611 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't forget about errors and varieties also.
John1

John really , with these potentially high value old coins in high circulated condition your concerned with errors & varieties ?

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Edited by T-BOP
06/08/2021 07:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40128 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You bet
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Old Spice! My dad was an old spice guy, and I just might have stored coins in those old roll-on containers as a kid, before I learned they made coin tubes for that (as I recall they are perfect for halves).

Thanks for the memories! (and those circulated French coins from the 60s in the foreground can probably just be given away).
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,722Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05