Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 P Jefferson Nickel / Satin / Fs?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 926Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9822 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no color variation between the fields and Jefferson/Monticello like there is with a proof so it would be a business strike?

Modern proofs are almost always cameo. Back in the time this proof was minted, only the earliest die strikes produced cameos.
That is why the early, pre 70's proof cameo coins fetch higher money than non cameo as a general rule.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11862 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does appear to have some light cameo, especially in the closeups where Monticello has somewhat of a grainy texture whereas the fields, while experiencing some hazing from age, are more reflective. Maybe even more so than strike quality, the reflectivity of the fields gives it away. Even the highest grade examples of business strikes don't have fields like that (and aren't as sharply struck, either) and neither do SMS nickels.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will put here a photo of a 1964 proof nickel.

For me this coin it is a high quality of business strike and is far to be full steps.

PS: This it is a normal proof not ne of the experimental shine and strike which was prepared for the 1965 strike of the proofs.
Edited by silviosi
06/11/2021 6:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Community. Long Time observer but firs time post as this topic drew my attention and I felt the need to respond.
The OP stated that this coin was aquired from a collection. Also stated that is has a satin finish. And based upon the images, the the strike is very fine.
Then the debate concerning business or proof strike began. Based on the images provided, I tend to agree with the opinion posted by "coop".
This appears to have much less luster than a typical proof strike for this coin, and based on the year, description, and images, I was curious why no one considered the 1964 SMS.
Granted, the population is about 50, who knows? It came from a collection! Why did someone keep this?
Examples of 1964 SMS coins are readily available thru various sources including PCGS. As well as info to determine markers.
If this example was in my hands, I would not presume anything until I compared to the SMS.
As I stated earlier, I have been a long time observer and have gained much knowledge from the expertise that may be found here. Thank you all. I am confident that my knowledge will expand as I continue to follow.
My main focus is Lincoln Cents and I am a few thousand away from looking at the nickels,then the dimes, then the quarters,etc.
All of those 1964 SMS coins have not been accounted for, and my hope is that we all may be seeing one.
You never know.
Worth the research for me.
That is an impressive find that not all seem to be able to agree upon.
If I am not mistaken, the rims of the SMS will resemble the business strike.
Perhaps I will share some of my finds with you in the future. Nothing spectacular, but exciting for me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40115 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I think I would like to read what Mike Diamond has to say about it. I also think that the OP will have to send it in to PCGS or NGC or ANACS to be sure what they really have.We are all just going by the posted photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
102095 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52380 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the edge damage to the coin, convinced me that it was not a proof, when it really was. Makes me wonder now, if it is coin sealer damage on the edges of the coin? But than angle isn't correct:

There must have been a reason it was released into the wild?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  03:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin hand it down to me with others from my grandfather who traveled all over the world and his many tours with the United States Navy so I am not sure where this coin originated from or where he had came across it or gotten it from I just know I stumbled upon it wrapped in plastic and in an envelope amongst other coins of his.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look more closed to your coin (I was busy and took time, SORRY). Sorry but this one it is not a proof. It is a very high quality business strike. Coop see faster. This one do not has the markers for SMS, but still be a want coin in many collections. Damage it is not a SMS but a nice one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52380 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully there are no coins put into envelopes. That turns them back if they are BU cents.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 926Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05