Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Austria 1 Kreuzer 1762: Is This Coin Real Or Fake. Kindly Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 507Next Topic  

India
33 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  1:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add amitav1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate if you could help me with this Austria 1 Kreuzer 1762 coin as the reverse side is in bad condition.Someone has said me that this coin is fake but I am unsure as I bought this coin from a genuine collector.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
791 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no direct reason to think that it is fake. It is a relatively common variety of this series of 1 kreuzers and in this condition it has very little value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60783 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
India
33 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amitav1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone was telling me that the metal is impure and rusting only in one side of the coin makes it fake...so I am felt to take advice from experts and collectors on this coin.

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2485 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly been in a fire
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5026 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone was telling me that the metal is impure

Please keep posting your coins here. The collectors here can give you better advice.
India
33 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amitav1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you every respected members for your assistance in regards to the coin.

I have one query regarding the metals used to produce a coin, were they pure one metal?

Regards,
A
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
791 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The intention was to use as pure copper as possible, but with the limitations of 18th century manufacturing techniques there will certainly be traces of other substances present: could be arsenic, sulphur, nickel, lead, etc, in small quantities (even modern copper coins contain minute traces of other substances).

Any impurities of that kind would not however result in a one-sided corrosion like on your coin. Perhaps the corroded side has been in contact with soil containing reactive substances? And possibly it has been harshly cleaned afterwards.
Learn More...
Australia
13810 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Imbalanced" corrosion such as seen on this can occur for several reasons. The coin might have been sitting on or in something corrosive. It might have been glued onto something. Or it could simply have been sitting for a long time on top of a piece of a different kind of metal (such as steel or iron).

But it isn't evidence that it is a counterfeit.

Regarding your general question: most coins are made of alloys, rather than pure metallic elements. "Copper" coins, for example, are often made of bronze, which is an alloy of copper and tin. Gold and silver coins are usually diluted with copper. Some older coins are made of billon, which is an alloy of copper and silver where there is less than 50% silver.

Poorly mixed alloys can result in strange patterns on coins. "Wood-graining" is a commonly seen effect, caused by a combination of poor alloying and the way the raw sheet of metal was rolled flat prior to having the coin blanks punched out of it. But poorly mixed alloys almost never create such stark corrosion patterns.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05