Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 P Jefferson Nickel/ Smaller And Thicker

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 397Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
400 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  04:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a coin that has me stumped it weighs 4.84 grams if lying flat it lays inside the rim on top of a normal sized nickel yet it is thicker also. The Edge appears to be some kind of reeded lines in it and a line down the center also of the edge so I'm not sure what to make of it it appears to be possibly fake I am not sure.

Edited by Skippy72
06/15/2021 04:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40838 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a dryer coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
20589 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree--mechanical damage, such as from being trapped in a dryer.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11629 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See these dryer coins quite often.
Use the search box to find many more examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5322 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a coin trapped in the internal workings of a dryer--usually a laundromat-class dryer.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53421 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are thinking a partial collar. These facts would need to be considered.
1. If the area inside of the collar would be the normal width of a nickel.
2. the area outside of the collar would be enlarged larger than the collar.
So being that you coin is smaller than a normal coin, it is not a partial collar issue. But being that is is smaller than normal, then I agree with the dryer coin alteration of the rim, making the rim cover the devices by damage to the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60740 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dryer coin in my book as well.
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at alot of dryer coin examples, even the links provided on this post. One thing stood out from every single one is that the edges/rims of those examples are rolled. Rounded. This coin is chiseled. Almost sharp. I'm not making this coin out to be anything it isn't. Just wondering if there is any possible explanation. Thanks...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3080 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3221 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could have been turned in a crimping tool or machine. That would reduce the diameter, increase the thickness and displace the rim towards the devices. It would take some additional machining to match this coin, but it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Now you have to try to figure out why anyone would do this.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53421 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it took a medium spin in a dryer. PSD
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05