Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Got A Barber Dime With Strange Mark On The Neck. What Is It? (1912)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 410Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  01:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hiloSF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i got a Barber dime with strange mark on the neck. is this just a 'damage' or some meaning?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a "C" counterstamp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  03:23 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some one was playing with an old printing die punch.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40087 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and I agree.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone nails it.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15588 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , , Just PSD also mark at 12:00 after the S .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hiloSF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is CCF?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ccf means Coin community forums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1847 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is a very tiny punch. 1/16th of a 17.9mm coin makes it around 1.1mm tall.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  04:08 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you look at some of the newspapers from the era, the type is so small, it's surprising that everyone didn't use reading glasses!

Here is a page with a bunch of 1912 Titanic newspapers showing them and their coverage, you can click in twice to magnify each paper, some have type that appears to me not much larger than 2-4 mm in my estimation. These are all front page only so only the larger type is used and to me it's still tiny.

https://www.lva.virginia.gov/exhibi...coverage.php

Even smaller type may have been around for superscript, subscript letters, or used for fitting as many as possible paid classifieds ads onto a sheet.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/19/2021 04:11 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05