Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 P Washington Crossing The Delaware Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 503Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  03:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MaxPower to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I'm new to this so please be gentle.

I just got my first microscope for checking out coins and I found 4 quarters in my change that caught my attention. It may be nothing but I thought I would upload them for the community's opinions.

Thanks for looking.

This first one is the only one that looked like this.

The rest seemed to me to be some type of doubling going on or is this how they normally look up close?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add relentlessseeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey hello great questions and good photos or yes great photos ! iam not going to be helpful here as I look at these iam getting photos like this with my microscope so I ask same questions ! and I want not only to this but heck iam new 2 so hello and hope we hear what we liked to know thanks for posting this .
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OriginalAtog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure about the face, but the rest looks like Machine Doubling to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40081 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. On the face looks like either a circulation hit or MD. The rest look like MD and or DDD,MD=machine doubling and DDD= Die Deterioration Doubling. There is also light induced doubling,you need to filter your light source.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
20049 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@max, first welcome to CCF. Second, your pics are well above average for a first post--well done. With regard to your coin, I agree with @john1 ( DDD and maybe MD).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaxPower to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'll work on improving my pictures going forward. I appreciate the tip on filtering the lightening.
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is also light induced doubling,you need to filter your light source.

Hey now, I never even thought of that! And I thought photographing minerals was difficult!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52354 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All is Machine Doubling even the face. When looking at your coin, see if the same doubling direction is on all the devices. If so it is machine directional doubling. If the the doubling is in different directions then the machine was very loose altering in more than 1-3 directions. No premium for these, but always nice to know what you are looking at. Machine Doubling is seen on the outside and inside of devices. On a doubled die, the device show spreads in the center of the devices with sometimes notching on corners of devices. On the single squeeze dies the doubled dies are distorted in shape, that reminds me of an over inflated bicycle tubes:

Sometimes Liberty is altered:

The wider the spread in the centers of the devices, the larger these devices appear enlarged.
On Machine Doubling the opposite happens the out edges of devices are reduced in size, flattening the contour of the normal devices on one side of the devices.

Note the MD reduces the size compared to normal devices?
On the motto area on the quarter, We have an example of machine next to a DDO on another coin:

Note the distortion of the devices. The Machine Doubling does not enlarge the devices, just alters them. On a doubled die, the doubling is on the die and all coins struck with that die will show the spread/distortion of the devices.
On your coin the devices are all alter in probably the same direction when you view the whole coin. On these ATB Quarters the only area affected by a doubled die is on the centers of the devices on one side or the other. Not on the outer devices of the coin.
The difference? Machine Doubling is cause by the machine. A doubled die has the doubling on the die, thus the term doubled die. But even on a doubled die, the machine cause Machine Doubling can be present. So if you have Machine Doubling on a normal coin, it adds no premium for this. I there is Machine Doubling on a doubled die, it is still a doubled die, but having Machine Doubling. (Most variety collectors prefer not to had Machine Doubling on their examples of doubled dies, as it is just a distraction. But when graders look at them, they accept them as doubled dies. (It is the buyer that decides if he likes it, or not?

CoopHome: How to Identify single squeeze doubled dies these coins? (The locations are different on the hub doubling.)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/19/2021 3:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59356 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6464 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Machine Doubling all around. Very good photos, but work on editing them down to the best ones, as there were a few too many photos presented here. Keep searching!

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52354 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just created overlays for these dies:

Just realized the incuse devices are not on the outer ring on the reverse. Nice.

CoopHome: How does the 2021 quarters new design affect die clashes?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/19/2021 3:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is now a know die clash on the reverse near Washington's head. Looks like a snorkel (throat of obverse bust).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1440784541...263104805766
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05