Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Coin I'd Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 458Next Topic  

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  12:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nunnj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Roman coin found today, I think its a radiate, can anyone narrow it down to the ruler please

Edited by nunnj
06/19/2021 2:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
681 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much to go on there, with most of the legend missing. My impression is that the bust is rather crude, so it may be a barbarous copy.
Can we see the other side?
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nunnj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse now uploaded
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
681 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for uploading the reverse - not sure it has added much, but the implementation still looks a bit crude for any of the Imperial mints, so I stick with it being a Barbarous radiate copy. If so, the "Emperor" will be just an unspecific figure head.
Learn More...
United States
20869 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nun, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm going to move your thread over to the ancients section of CCF so that we can get some additional eyeballs on it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without trying hard looks like a Tetricus II perhaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, either a 'barbarous radiate' or a really crude official coin. What is the diameter in mm?

Based on the wreath held by the reverse figure in her lowered right hand, the prototype is probably Laetitia (LAETITIA AVG N), which would match the few letters AET / AVG legible in the margin.

The obverse almost certainly depicts a beardless Tetricus II with ...VS CAES legible in the right margin.

Image courtesy Leipziger Munzhandlung
Edited by Kushanshah
06/19/2021 8:44 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05