Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1809 Large Cent Condition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
196 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  8:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all thought about this large cent looks vg details. They are asking $295. Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60931 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G-06.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9958 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a fairly nice type coin if you have a hole to fill.
Price wise . . . I have no opinion. These Classic Head Large Cents don't grow on trees.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LIBERTY is all there, but there's some corrosion in various nooks and crannies. Eye appeal isn't the greatest, so IMHO it seems slightly overpriced.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2971 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say It just makes VG08 Details, corroded. Price seems ok (misread, had $250 in my head. $295 would be a bit more than I would pay). For a corroded example, eye appeal is above average IMO. Tough date.
Edited by Ty2020b
06/22/2021 10:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10565 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is a difficult series to grade due to striking issues and problems with planchets. the 1809 is not easy to come by in decent condition. I agree with VG8 details due to the porosity of the planchet. I think the price you paid is pretty decent
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not pay 295 for it. Maybe 230-240.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8358 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Matthew23,

Thought I'd play with the photos a bit to give them some light as if we were looking at them under a halogen instead of some old florescent tubes in the coin shop.

Now I'm seeing the obverse a lot better, I don't like it at all, the reverse I'm good with. I don't think I could live with this coin in the long term in my collection, way too much green verdigris on the obverse, and signs of corrosion that is pitting the copper underneath, it will never look better than it does right now unfortunately, not a coin that can be improved with Care, Blue Ribbon or Verdi-Care IMO.

No amount of careful conservation and brushing will help it I'm afraid, I'd keep looking if I were in your shoes. I know these are hard to find but there are better ones out there I'm sure of it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/23/2021 11:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to give a update I bought it. Only missing 1 now!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8358 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a bad buy at the price you paid even if it's not the prettiest cent out there. You can always upgrade if a better one comes into your reach, and sell this one pretty easily I'm sure.

Only missing 1 did you get one of the big ones? 1799, 1804? I remember a few other holes in the set 1839 and 1857, you are on a roll then!

Such a great set!

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm putting a custom set together the 1793, 1799, and the 1804 are out of my price range so I'm putting a set together from 1794-1857, can't really afford $7,000 to $10,000 for 3 coins
Pillar of the Community
United States
8358 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mathew23, I do know your set didn't include the 1793's they are out of most normal collectors league these days unfortunately. Don't over look electrotypes, there are a few very collectable and desirable yet affordable (in comparison) of 1799 and 1804 coins. Keep an eye out for them, Jack Behymer and sometimes Chris McCawley has them in their inventory. Put the word out in your want list to some of the other EAC dealers and you might get lucky, the pair should be $400-800 depending on who made the electrotype and their condition of course. Just an idea.

Finding the 1857 is easy, finding one that is nice and not overpriced or without lots of "issues" can be a tall order. I too have been looking for a nice one in the VF range for a little while with not too much lock they either have to many problems or the price is marked at least a grade higher than I'm willing to stretch.

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know about electrotypes, not my thing though, would rather have a original one than a reprint of it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60931 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Revising grade to G details (ED) based on second set of pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22772 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of hair detail. VG-8 details, environmental damage.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05