Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885 Seated Liberty Quarter Possible Proof

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 561Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  04:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is my final coin post forthe n8ght. It is another seated, but a quarter, and I believe this is a proof quarter. Any thoughts on grade?

Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am by no means an expert of this series...but on first blush...does seem to have a PR like apperance.
I'm just a little concerned with the surface around star #4...? There are also some virtical lines in the lower left field that give the apperance on either die polishing or cleaning...?
I was referencing the PCGS site for this year in PR and all have some kind of toning. The absence of toning from your coin leads me to believe that it may have been cleaned...?
Hopfully the experts will be by shortly and give an opinion.
TC
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59356 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any mirrors? Either way a tough coin. Flash is obscuring surface coloring and details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not great with this series, but looks like a proof to me. I'll say PR63/64, tough to judge fields though with these pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm just a little concerned with the surface around star #4

first the coin does look proof but this series is not in my wheelhouse. I also have the same concern about the area around star 4. unless there was some type of minor corrosion on the die those spots should not raised. possible counterfeit?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3231 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great photos, and great coin! It looks like a proof strike to me based on the sharpness of the stars and devices. Some die polishing lines on the obverse, no signs of cleaning, but the tiny spot of corrosion near star 4 is concerning. If it avoids a details grade, I could see this as PR65.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had tbe same questions about star #4. All I can say is the coin is for sure silver, it weighs the correct amount, and measures correctly. If it is a fake, it is the best I have ever seen... in my brief time as a coin hobbyist. I was afraid to touch the surface to see if they are raised or not. All of the coins I posted are en route to PCGS, and all will have the TruView pics taken. Thank you all for your comments. I very much appreciate them!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1777 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not look like a fake. And I do agree it looks proof. Maybe pr64.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Jbuck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin to kick off with in the grading forum! A tough call Proof or business strike and grade?

According to my Briggs "Liberty Seated quarters" book 1885 is found well struck and business and proof strikes are often mixed up by even dealers. The date is a match for the Proof die characteristics IMO though I don't have the coin in hand or others beyond photographs to compare too. The vertical lines on the shield on the reverse should be lightly recut, the stars on the obverse proofs are well struck on the left and weaker struck on the right, with poor defined central areas on the right, well defined centers on the left side. The denticles look more proof like to me, longer and very well defined, the rims are pretty large and squared off IMO.

I'd go with proof and as to a grade I'm at PR64 though it does look like it may have been dipped a long time ago, it's not bad, but may put it in a details holder on a bad day at the grading company. I am seeing the some areas that look like little carbon spots or flyspecks that have been almost washed off, that is a good sign of an old dip, they are starting to come back in again this time with a little ring around them. Also how some of the more protected areas in the crevices are still glowing more than other areas if the fields is also a sign of a possible old dip into a tarnish remover.

It's a coin worth sending in to a TPG just to see what they say, please let us know if you decide to submit it what it comes back as, a really cool teaching coin, thanks for sharing!

Opps just saw you are sending it off, really looking forward to hearing what they have to say and to see Phil's TrueView photos!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/23/2021 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a proof to me too, I would agree with PR64
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PCGS grade is pr62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update! Glad it came back as a proof, just wish it was a bit higher grade for you.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59356 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks better than that in your pics!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good news its genuine. I would have put it in the PF63 bucket. since the grade assigned does not reflect wear on the coin they must have dinged it for eye appeal/flat surfaces
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05