Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do About Improperly Cleaned Detailed Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 707Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
55 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  07:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently had my entire Morgan, Peace, and old Washington quarter set graded by NGC, and not too surprisingly, I have 10 coins that came back detailed due to improperly cleaned (not by me). 5 are graded UNC: Morgan 1892, 1886-o,1900-s,1902-s and 1890 CC....graded AU are 1894-o ,1904-s Morgan and then a 1932 D Quarter...

The two Peace dollars are 1934 D and 1935-S

So what do I do with these coins ? They all look perfectly nice but I probably will go out and buy graded undetailed coins. What is fair value for these problem coins ? Advice appreciated ! I will be selling them, I am pretty sure
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18704 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three choices available:
- break out the details coins and get them re graded if you think that the 'details' may be unjustified, with the risk that they may still come back 'details'
- accept them according to the TPG's opinions, and re value them accordingly.
- dispose of them, and replace them with non 'details coins. That may be hard to do, because you most probably won't get the exact same coins again without a 'details'.

Will need to do some eBay price research to get some idea of what price they should be sold for, if you choose to dispose of them.

Somewhat of a pity, if those ten coons are uncirculated or above grades.

Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, I don't have any reason to think NGC has improperly graded them. and I guess the question then comes to 'what is fair value ? These are coins I bought 15-25 years ago, so no hope of knowing what I paid for them.

so , for example picking the 1890 CC uncirculated but detailed coin...NGC has a 60 at $575 and a 64 at $1300. I am leery about the risk of going to a coin dealer and being offered $200, unless that is a fair price....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stick them in an album, a few details coins have great eye appeal, they look beautiful in albums hence that's where they are.

The other option is to stop worrying about the grade, you purchased the coin because of it eye appeal, enjoy it for what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4748 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before getting to far, check eBay sold information for coins similar to the ones you're considering unloading.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks...yes, the coins have nice eye appeal...cant really put my set into an album. Its a pretty high grade set....93-S is a 45, 93 CC is a 63 as examples....I guess ebay is the best place to see what I might be able to get fair price for.....Although my coins say 'improperly cleaned' which I gather is different than just straight up 'cleaned' ? or has the terminology changed from 20 years ago ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59259 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show us pics, one date at a time, and we'll give you some value opinions.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try...I have to learn how to upload a pic on this site
Pillar of the Community
United States
5280 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 50% of catalog as my guide for pricing DETAILS coins.
That's just an "arm waving" estimate.
Rarer coins could be more; common coins less.
If you can find auction/sales results, so much the better.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
06/25/2021 09:26 am
Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stick them in an album, a few details coins have great eye appeal, they look beautiful in albums hence that's where they are.
Works for me.

No reason you cannot have two sets. I have two Ike sets; one in a Dansco album and other in PCGS slabs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4563 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People use different estimates, but my go to is if the coin is not detailed for extreme reasons(like being bent or a hole or heavy corrosion), take the value of lowest numerical grade of the letter grade below the coin is graded at. So for example if you have an AU details, cleaned coin, my ballpark value would be XF-40 money.

This can change though. If the coin has a shallow value curve, you need to take more money off. For example, 1908-S Indian cents Go for $100 in F-12 but only $120 or so in VF-20-35. In this case a VF details Indian cent would be worth far less than a straight grade F-12, probably more like $70 or so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The unc details coins will be the hardest to determine value, especially for conditional rarities like the 1886-O, because the value falls dramatically once you drop into the AU range. Much will depend on whether they are higher mint state coins, how obvious the cleaning is, and their overall eye appeal. If there are any with truly no signs of cleaning, it might be worth breaking out and resubmitting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would crack them out and resubmit them if you believe there are gradable.
I resubbed an 1884-CC 5 times before it straight graded. I'm not sure if you are aware
that the top TPGs have around 6 graders. so this time you got graders A, B and C, and details.
Next time you might get graders D,E and F.... And get it straight graded.
Bottom line, don't give up if you believe in the coin. This also depends on the value of the coin.
A $100 coin is not worth sending in multiple times. I lost money on the 84-CC to prove a point.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah don't loose money
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18704 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The type and severity of a 'details' on a slabbed coin will downwardly affect it's value from slightly to greatly.
That brings the term 'details' into question, because that is a switch off term if present; - either off or on.
If present, 'details' by itself gives no indication to how much value can be lost.
A prospective buyer has to examine the slabbed coin in hand to determine for himself how much value has been lost.

The owner has to decide if he will keep it, despite the 'details'. For some collectors, they are never fully satisfied with their 'details' coins. Other collectors may be happy with a 'details - improperly cleaned', if they know that they originally obtained the coin for a very good devalued price.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I look at the coins, I see three of them that, yeah, I could see as improperly cleaned. The other 7 look very nice to me. I'll go through the NGC pricing do see whether worth cracking open and sending them in for another grading opportunity...I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, but will try to figure it out this weekend
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 707Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05