Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uber-vammer Test

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2009  5:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's been too many days since there has been a post on this forum, so I thought I would offer a bit of a test to the VAMmers here. I will post five links to recently completed EBay auctions. Take a look at the coins offered for sale and tell us what VAM we are looking at. The person with the most correct picks will take the crown for CCF VAM King of the Day. The decision of this judge will be final. I will offer that there were some serious VAM offerings this last week.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...WA:IT&ih=012
2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...WA:IT&ih=008
3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...WA:IT&ih=013
4. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...WA:IT&ih=010
5. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...WA:IT&ih=009

C'mon let's have some fun with it.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonS.7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After squinting on the world I think I have three of them figured out. The other two I have not even a clue. Overall you have me nearly baffled to these cherries. Did you score any of them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JonS,

No, I got a bid in on one and was the first under-bidder and was not around at closing on the other four. I got called away for an emergency that wasn't ... now I think I know what death feels like.

So far you're in the lead! I'll discuss technique and pick-up points (PUPS) after this has stewed for awhile. Which ones have you stymied?
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I'll give it a shot. You're diabolical, in case you didn't know.

I think we've discussed the '78-S? VAM-60?

The 1880-P has only one pickup I could see, but it seems conclusive: VAM-25 (Formerly 1E).

1888: Hot Lips. For $26. Sheesh.

I'm still working on the 8TF. Ruled out VAM-9 and VAM-23.

1891-O: My only guess is VAM-10.

Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ocsjr2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've got me on the '80, they always seem to deal me a fit, but then I'm mostly into clashed. Besides that the small pictures are a turnoff for me because I like to see detail. Your other 4 are nice finds though, some of these sellers just don't care about the VAM part and how much more they would gain with a little bit of knowledge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to do some magic now. You saw those auction pictures as I did initially. See if "enhancement" helps? Here's the single obverse picture from auction #2. The seller posted a very small, obverse only picture for this auction. But it was enough to show a PUP for the 1880-P, VAM 6 "Spikes". I've enlarged the picture to show the missing hair (over polishing) that is a key PUP, and the spikes on top of the second 8. This is an 8/7 overdate that is not really that hard to find in grades below VF. This one could go AU and was a real bargain!

I will agree with SuperDave on the 78-S long nock. To me it looks like a VAM 60 and in great shape. It gets even better from here so stay tuned.

Oh yeah, SuperDave also got the 1888-O Hot lips (auction #3). From the final hammer price I don't think folks knew what this was.
Edited by SeatedNut
01/07/2009 11:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three down and two to go ... I saved the best for last. SuperDave ... what reverse is that on the 1878 8TF? Here's an enhanced shot:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I just checked the information available on the VamWorld site for coin number 4 and I find out I have another "leg up". They don't even show the tail feather configuration for this VAM on that site. I have a copy of Jeff Oxman's 8TF book and it has additional information. I am 99% sure this is an A1L reverse which narrows the choice to three options, 14.2, 14.15, or 14.20. It's a process of elimination from there. Take a good look at the ear fill.

Edited by SeatedNut
01/07/2009 1:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ocsjr2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And #5 is VAM 3A2. Thank you for the lesson on the'80 VAM 6. And for the 8 tf I went with 14.15.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And #5 is VAM 3A2. Thank you for the lesson on the'80 VAM 6. And for the 8 tf I went with 14.15.

ocsjr2001, Yes, #5 is a 3A2 and you're welcome on the VAM 6. But, I'm going with 14.20 on #4. The piece of the puzzle missing at VamWorld is a picture of the polishing lines between the cotton bolls ... go figure since the VAM is called "boll lines". The picture is included in Oxman's book. If you look closely between the bolls you will see heavy diagonal lines. The 14.2 has very faint diagonal lines and the 14.15 has faint vertical lines. Also, the ear fill looks much longer than that shown for the 14.2. Of course this is conjecture and impossible to prove w/o the coin in hand. I was willing to mortgage the farm on that one.

So, here's a recap:

1. 1878-S VAM 60 Long Nock - VF sold for $104 (price in value guide $1000)
2. 1880 VAM 6 "Spikes" - AU sold for $20 (price in value guide $350)
3. 1888-O VAM 4 "Hot Lips" - F sold for $26 (price in value guide $250)
4. 1878 8TF VAM 14.20 in VF sold for $60 (price in value guide $5000)
5. 1891-O VAM 3A2 in VF sold for $25 (price in value guide $600)
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sheesh. Next time I try this when I haven't been up all night.

Based on Heritage photos, I respectfully disagree with the 8TF attribution. The eagle's left looks correct, but the eagle's right (our left) doesn't.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ocsjr2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had gone with 14.15 because of the amount of hair in the 1st hair vee.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave ... thanks for staying up all night and playing. Her are three pics: The first is the A1L reverse from VamWorld (and also in Oxman's book); number two is a cropped blow-up of the coin in question; number three I've traced the tailfeathers on the second photo. Tell me what you see now.

A1L Reverse

Coin from auction

Feathers highlighted

Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ocsjr2001,

This one doesn't have the die breaks on the obverse to support a 14.15 and the die gouge on the olive leaf on the reverse is larger on the 14.15 than the 14.2 or 14.20.

Here's the 14.15 gouge

This coin just has a blip

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05