Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Amount Of US Coins That I Can Legally Travel Abroad With?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 600Next Topic  
Valued Member

Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a law prohibiting me from travelling out of the US with a certain amount of US coins?
If yes,
What is that amount?
Edited by ikuna
06/27/2021 8:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only know the one for cents. You are not allowed to take more than $5 in cents out side of the US. You should try to look up the other ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5326 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And don't ignore the possibility that there may be a limit as to how much you can take into another country.
Probably different around the world.

And once you get them into that country, can you get them back out?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
06/27/2021 10:03 pm
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$5.00 is reasonable.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9198 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  04:21 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the late 1990s I was once stopped by US Customs at Denver airport when I was flying back to England. I'd acquired quite a few US coins from circulation (mainly State Quarters plus some Kennedy halves from bank rolls) and they were in a plastic bag inside my rucksack. The staff member operating the X-ray machine asked me what the large metal object was. I said it was US coins I was saving for my collection, and pulled the bag out to show him. He just waved me through.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no limit I know of. I know you have to declare if you are traveling with $10,000 or more in cash. You should also pull out any rolls of coins at airport security otherwise they will probably inspect the contents of your carry on bag to see what all the metal is.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that there was a law which objective was to prevent the melting of copper coins to profit when copper was worth more than the cent's value.
These new cents are worthless if melted have little value. I assumed that this law had expired. Is there anyone here that is 100% sure on this matter ?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1094 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm really there a law for coins, I thought he meant amount of money cause some countries require you to declare amount larger than 10K USD or equivalent. Maybe 10K in pennies hahaha I guess plane be broken then.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17480 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned $5 in cents, no limit on anything else, but if you are carrying over $10K worth you do need to declare it. They won't take the excess from you or tax it, but you do have to declare it. If you DON'T declare it and they find out then they will take it from you, all of it.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
34850 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Therefore, the exception provided for in the current regulation at section 82.2(a)(2) has been amended to reasonably accommodate these concerns by allowing exportation of 5-cent and one-cent coins having an aggregate face value of up to $25 when it is clear that the purpose for exporting such coins is for legitimate personal numismatic, amusement, or recreational use. "

From
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-cent-coins
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 600Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05